Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearing 1/4 acre of blackberry vines

Default Clearing 1/4 acre of blackberry vines

Blackberry the kudzu of the northwest has infested a large area of one of my pastures. Goats have kept it from spreading, but they won't eat the interior stalks which are quite thick. I'd love to use a flame thrower on it, but burning down the woods is a bit of overkill. Is there a mechanical solution for this? Some machine I can rent, fill up with gas and take this stuff down?
    We learn from history that we do not learn from history. Georg Wilhelm F. Hegel

Rent a small tractor and bush hog. Or get a neighbor to cut it. Look on Craigslist if you dont know anyone.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

1/4 acre is doable with a portable brush cutter - sickle bar cutter is better at that viney tangle crap than a rotary action >>>> rent or buy depends on whether you can use it other sections of your property - some portable units have interchangable heads for other types of field work ....

Ninja sword

Just hire it to be bush hogged. Might cost a couple hundred. Or save yourself a weeks feed bill, those goats will thin it out.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Mix vinegar and bleach and use a sprayer. That will kill them and the vines and roots will decompose over winter. I cleared our perameter fence line with this and it worked. Blackberry vine grow wild around here too, and they can take over.

After the vines and roots decompose, till the area and sow some fescue grass seeds..
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

I like your ideas! Thank you! The vinegar/bleach solution sounds great. If only I could hear the vines scream in agony.

Thank you all!
    We learn from history that we do not learn from history. Georg Wilhelm F. Hegel

Got a ratio on that mixture Cammie?

Na, go ahead and light it up. Nothing like a nice out of control, controlled burn to liven things up. I'm convinced that there is a little pyromaniac in each of us.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Na, go ahead and light it up. Nothing like a nice out of control, controlled burn to liven things up. I'm convinced that there is a little pyromaniac in each of us.
    Heh, heh! Reminds me of the time I bout set the woods on fire shooting flaming arrows. I was shooting at a pine tree but I missed the tree and the arrow went sailing off into the middle of a dry broomstraw patch. That stuff caught like tinder. I ran and got daddy, and he and a couple of the neighbors got the fire extinguished. I just knew my butt was about to get run through a shredder. But, no, daddy just gave me that stern look of his. That was actually worse than any ass beating I could have received. Felt so low I would have needed an eight foot step ladder just to climb up onto a sheet of notebook paper laying flat..