Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been slowly getting ready for the arrival of Hurricane Dorian....

Default Been slowly getting ready for the arrival of Hurricane Dorian....

Over the last few days ..I have been slowly and steadly getting ready for Hurricane Dorian to arrive.

When I woke up this morning and put on coffee..I also fed the cats and when going outside..I noted it was overcast but eerily quiet. Been that way since...quiet....ominously quiet.

Only occasionally do you hear the birds carrying on...but not as do they usually....seems subdued. Best to listen to the wild animals when you can....their senses are often far more acute than ours.

Worked on my van to change out the side Mirrors on it..and then proceeded to put up more stuff and tie down more of the yard furniture..trim the long bushes next to the hous and my new siding.....taking the cushions into the garage..

Also putting many of the potted plants to the lea side of the house..

One of the last things to be done is bring in the trash containers and also the gas grill into the garage .then tie down or lash the outside screen doors via the handles to the indoor door handles with a length of 1/8 diameter white nylon chord from Lowes. This is done both on the front door and the back. Screen doors are very nice in the summer but not very strong in high winds. ...hence I tend to tie them down as described.

I will not be taking my scooter to work tonight.. but instead the car.

More work to be done before shoving off to work. Will find out at work if we get liberal leave for Friday.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-05-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Good luck OT, sounds like you're making the rounds and battening down the hatches. Any provisions at work in case you get stuck there? Tossing a pillow and blanket in the back of the car, something to eat, chainsaw for roads going home? Just thinking about the unpredictability of storms.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Best wishes OT. Stay safe.

best wishes tom, looks like it is heading your way
    let's hope it diminishes

Stay safe Tom.

Gentlemen...thanks for the concern..but also want to remind you that the Olde Timer....Beowulf is down south of me across the border. Not sure exactly where in North Carolina but I am also concerned about him and his family.

I am sure he will feel the results before do I up here in Virginia...but nonetheless getting ready.

Hang in there Olde Timer. Have seat belt and shoulder harness ready here...tables in the stowed and or upright... secured position.

As to provisions at work..,.yes..I have made them. I have food..canned and dried at work. I am in the habit of keeping two Gatorade bottles .filled up with water in the refrigerator. I drink from them throughout the night but always keep them filled. Also one in my daily BOB. I don't like Gatorade but the bottles are very heavy duty and ideal for keeping water cold and on the ready line. I change out the Gatorade bottles every so often and get new ones ...pour out the Gatorade and rinse for water. They really are heavy duty bottles. The only thing I like about them.

Also I keep dried fruit and nut mix along with canned soups....spam ..a sterno stove and fuel too. Always keep BIC lighters in my daily BOB though I do not smoke...a Mora Knife too....along with my KUBEY folder. I like that dried tropical fruit and nut mix....no refrigeration needed. Keep dried tropical fruit and nut mix here at home too. Also dried beef...jerky..
    Spam...there is enough salt in that stuff to preserve a horse....long after the printed date is passed. I've put that one to a test over a year after the printed date...no problems.
    Keep a couple of tubes of saltine crackers in a empty Pringles cans.....they fit nicely.

Yes..I have provisions at work ...also have my own radiation detector both at work and right here at home next to this computer.

But yes...I am one of the few of whom I know at work who understand and have prepared....not to depend on the vending machines at work. For those vending machines will quickly go empty or be violated should a major event happen...and folks cannot get home overnight...or longer.

Should something happen while I am at work...I know to get those two bottles of water and put them in my BOB and also fill up my other bottle and get home...one way or another. Also have in my daily BOB a sillcock key.
    I park in a private lot when not taking my scooter.... not a company lot and therefore go about well "Heeled." I try to cover that base when taking four wheels as well.

Hang in there Olde Timer......Hang in there....across the border...you and your house.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-05-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Yes , stay safe Beo, just heard there are tornado warnings in N. C.

Good luck guys.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Should have expected as much OT! Sounds like you have everything well seen to! Good luck and hang tough! Hopefully you get to ride everything out in the peace and comfort of your own home but if not sounds like you'll be sitting pretty if stuck at work.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Prayers for you OT, that all goes smoothly.
    Same for you Beo.
    Stay safe you guys.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13