Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Been slowly getting ready for the arrival of Hurricane Dorian....

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Prayers to whoever ends up truly in Dorian's path. (My bro is in NC)
    =
    Make America under God Again
    =

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Gentlemen...thanks for the concern..but also want to remind you that the Olde Timer....Beowulf is down south of me across the border. Not sure exactly where in North Carolina but I am also concerned about him and his family.

I am sure he will feel the results before do I up here in Virginia...but nonetheless getting ready.

Hang in there Olde Timer. Have seat belt and shoulder harness ready here...tables in the stowed and or upright... secured position.

As to provisions at work..,.yes..I have made them. I have food..canned and dried at work. I am in the habit of keeping two Gatorade bottles .filled up with water in the refrigerator. I drink from them throughout the night but always keep them filled. Also one in my daily BOB. I don't like Gatorade but the bottles are very heavy duty and ideal for keeping water cold and on the ready line. I change out the Gatorade bottles every so often and get new ones ...pour out the Gatorade and rinse for water. They really are heavy duty bottles. The only thing I like about them.

Also I keep dried fruit and nut mix along with canned soups....spam ..a sterno stove and fuel too. Always keep BIC lighters in my daily BOB though I do not smoke...a Mora Knife too....along with my KUBEY folder. I like that dried tropical fruit and nut mix....no refrigeration needed. Keep dried tropical fruit and nut mix here at home too. Also dried beef...jerky..
    Spam...there is enough salt in that stuff to preserve a horse....long after the printed date is passed. I've put that one to a test over a year after the printed date...no problems.
    Keep a couple of tubes of saltine crackers in a empty Pringles cans.....they fit nicely.

Yes..I have provisions at work ...also have my own radiation detector both at work and right here at home next to this computer.

But yes...I am one of the few of whom I know at work who understand and have prepared....not to depend on the vending machines at work. For those vending machines will quickly go empty or be violated should a major event happen...and folks cannot get home overnight...or longer.

Should something happen while I am at work...I know to get those two bottles of water and put them in my BOB and also fill up my other bottle and get home...one way or another. Also have in my daily BOB a sillcock key.
    I park in a private lot when not taking my scooter.... not a company lot and therefore go about well "Heeled." I try to cover that base when taking four wheels as well.

Hang in there Olde Timer......Hang in there....across the border...you and your house.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    I'm about 100 miles inland from the coast, Tom. They're saying we might get some tropical storm force winds, 30-60 MPH gusts. Its 8:25 pm right now, and still pretty calm outside. I think the worst around here is supposed to start about 5:00-6:00 am. I'm ready. Thanks all for the best wishes. And I return the same to all of you who may be in any way in the path of this thing. Got plenty of food and water on hand, one of those HUGE ice chests, one that keeps ice for five days when its 90 degrees, and plenty of ice on hand if needed, for storing perishable goods. Also, camp stove and plenty of fuels for it, and a coffee pot and plenty of coffee.
    Last edited by beowulf; 09-05-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Prayers for y'all indeed.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Looks like we "escaped" it here. It got a little breezy, but no strong winds. Youngest daughter and grand daughter lost power at their houses. Grand daughter's came back on a while ago. Daughter still had no power when she left for work. All in all, nothing much happened here. I believe the worst of it has moved past us here.

Still waiting here in Hampton, Virginia near Langley AFB. Rain and the occasional wind gust..but news I am picking up as of 9:20 am is that most of the action is taking place down in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake....power out in places etc etc. Another couple of hours will tell.

Eye seems to be off Cape Hattaris now.

Glad to hear you folks stood it well Olde Timer.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

ot. i lived in hampton when i was stationed at langley... bimini crossing apts... hehe used to hit smittys better burgers alot

Beo, OT, glad you guys made it thru in pretty good shape.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Beo, OT, glad you guys made it thru in pretty good shape.
    ^^^Yeah, what he said.

My thanks to the members here for the well wishes. I am in Mechanicsville, Virginia near Richmond....and getting used to going on a Hotel network.

As I am often told and admitting to myself .."I need to get out more."

Become somewhat of a recluse..but I am ok with that for the most part. Never was the social butterfly type....choosy about with whom I associate.

LOL LOL LOL...Driftz240...I am located at my home not far from Smittys Better Burger and it is one of my favorite haunts. Olde fashioned curb service.

I can call in an order and be there before the fries hit the hot oil...that close.

Smitty's caught fire some time back and is in the process of being rebuilt. Smitty's has been sort of a landmark in this area and alot of people have grown up around Smitty's. Will be glad when Smitty's is back in business.

I too was stationed at Langley AFB years and years back.

Beowulf,

We didn't get much of anything here near Langley Field and glad of it...being grateful for our blessings in this. I know how bad they can get having been through a couple of typhoons when we were stationed at Yakota AFB, Japan. That is where we, all in my family, learned the hurricane drill.

Glad to hear you and your family are doing fine after this...Olde Timer.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-08-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Thursday morning about 9 am and watching the weather ...in particular that new and possible storm front which may turn into a hurricane and is now off the coast Haiti and Cuba. Have not totally untied and repositioned my yard furniture and such ...because of something like this. Decided to postpone it for a couple of weeks...such that I would have the bare minimum to do should another storm arise.

We are not out of the storm season as of yet and if memory serves me storm season goes into November some time. Still a good ways away.

To early to tell if this storm will go across Florida or turn up the coast towards us. They are still trying to clean up and get back to something like normal on the coast of North Carolina....Hope they are not too premature.

Standing by and waiting here.....watching and listening.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-12-2019 at 07:50 AM.