Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: if you get 15 ft underground, it stays 50F degrees, basically.

Default if you get 15 ft underground, it stays 50F degrees, basically.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...924-story.html

and it's much, much harder to find an underground shelter when looking for such, and very, very dangerous to enter it. Just ask any tunnel rat who fought in Vietnam.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

I remember that when I was down 15 feet, digging my well. 95 degrees on the surface, could see my breath at the bottom.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    =

I'll buy that it's considerably cooler 15' down, but here in Texas the caves are typically mid 70's, and well water is closer to 80, so I don't think 50's is accurate. Regardless, it would be more temperate for sure.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

True, it's cooler and much more stable in temperature (because of the mass effect of the earth).
    But there are a number of problems with building under ground:
    ensuring adequate ventilation
    ensuring adequate drainage
    Secure access and egress
    supplying power
    Supplying water and handling sewage, and disposing of trash

All of which can be handled but it's not just a matter of digging a big hole and putting a shipping container in it. If you want to live, that is.
    Good medicine in bad places

I refuse to live underground like a rat, even for a short period of time. I'll die on my feet above ground, thank you very much.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I refuse to live underground like a rat, even for a short period of time. I'll die on my feet above ground, thank you very much.
    Hard to have a pig roast in a shipping container 20 feet down
    =
    Make America under God Again
    =

Quote Originally Posted by jerb View Post
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...924-story.html

and it's much, much harder to find an underground shelter when looking for such, and very, very dangerous to enter it. Just ask any tunnel rat who fought in Vietnam.
    Jerb, ever hear of Dave Wendell, Codi Lundin, Creek Stewart, Dave Canterbury, and there are others. You should get to know them, or their works. These are men who don't just TALK survival, they LIVE it...and teach it. And what they tell you, you can take to the bank! Now let me tell just a little about myself, the guy you ASSUME fantasizes. Survival has been a keen and intense interest of mine for at least the last forty years or so. I assure you, I can not only exist, but live comfortably in just about any environment you can imagine. I know how to use the stomach of an animal as a vessel in which to cook my dinner. Can you do that? Or are you too squeamish to even think about it.? I can identify edible wild plants and medicinal wild plants, and I know how to use them. I know how to build a comfortable shelter from the materials that nature provides. Can you skin and gut a deer, elk moose? It can be a gory job, You gotta get up to your armpits into blood and guts. I can. I've done it. Do you know the steps, the process for turning a raw animal hide into buckskin that you can use to make clothing, shelter, and many other useful things. I can procure food (meat) without the use of a firearm. I spent twenty three years on active duty in the Air Force as a cop. I had training on weapons from the .38 caliber revolver up to 81mm mortars, 90 and 105mm recoilless rifles. .30 and .50 caliber machineguns and just about everything in between. Trained in combat tactics: recon, setting up ambushes, laying mine fields, the list goes on and on. And all this applies to a great many of the other folks on here. Do we claim to know everything? Emphatically NO! We're wise enough to understand that learning is a never ending process. So, you see, Jerb, we don't live in a world of fantasy. We live in a real world, It can be good,; it can also be cold, cruel and unforgiving. We know our capabilities as well as our limitations. And we know how to do more than just survive. We know how to THRIVE in austere circumstances. We all share information and otherwise have a good time. I hope you will join us in that light. We are a team, a family, We hope you want to be a part of it. We "needle" each other time to time, but its all in good natured fun and everyone enjoys it. If someone steps over the line the mods will let us know. Hopefully everyone knows how to police themselves and not cross that line. We do a pretty good job of it. We would dearly love for you to stick around for a long time, as one of us. But you just gotta behave yourself. Now, I'm not a moderator. I have no authority to administer any action. If you will, just consider me a friend passing along some useful and worthwhile advice. Fair enough?

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Jerb, ever hear of Dave Wendell, Codi Lundin, Creek Stewart, Dave Canterbury, and there are others. You should get to know them, or their works. These are men who don't just TALK survival, they LIVE it...and teach it. And what they tell you, you can take to the bank! Now let me tell just a little about myself, the guy you ASSUME fantasizes. Survival has been a keen and intense interest of mine for at least the last forty years or so. I assure you, I can not only exist, but live comfortably in just about any environment you can imagine. I know how to use the stomach of an animal as a vessel in which to cook my dinner. Can you do that? Or are you too squeamish to even think about it.? I can identify edible wild plants and medicinal wild plants, and I know how to use them. I know how to build a comfortable shelter from the materials that nature provides. Can you skin and gut a deer, elk moose? It can be a gory job, You gotta get up to your armpits into blood and guts. I can. I've done it. Do you know the steps, the process for turning a raw animal hide into buckskin that you can use to make clothing, shelter, and many other useful things. I can procure food (meat) without the use of a firearm. I spent twenty three years on active duty in the Air Force as a cop. I had training on weapons from the .38 caliber revolver up to 81mm mortars, 90 and 105mm recoilless rifles. .30 and .50 caliber machineguns and just about everything in between. Trained in combat tactics: recon, setting up ambushes, laying mine fields, the list goes on and on. And all this applies to a great many of the other folks on here. Do we claim to know everything? Emphatically NO! We're wise enough to understand that learning is a never ending process. So, you see, Jerb, we don't live in a world of fantasy. We live in a real world, It can be good,; it can also be cold, cruel and unforgiving. We know our capabilities as well as our limitations. And we know how to do more than just survive. We know how to THRIVE in austere circumstances. We all share information and otherwise have a good time. I hope you will join us in that light. We are a team, a family, We hope you want to be a part of it. We "needle" each other time to time, but its all in good natured fun and everyone enjoys it. If someone steps over the line the mods will let us know. Hopefully everyone knows how to police themselves and not cross that line. We do a pretty good job of it. We would dearly love for you to stick around for a long time, as one of us. But you just gotta behave yourself. Now, I'm not a moderator. I have no authority to administer any action. If you will, just consider me a friend passing along some useful and worthwhile advice. Fair enough?

I will fall in line with Beowulf. He put it very sound and clear . I'm a very peaceful man as I believe Beo. is. I abhor violence as I'm sure Beo. does also. But one must be prepared as he stated to be able to do many things . We are here to help each other even though we may kid around some.
    The more we help each other the better we are as a team and our chances are greatly improved. So maybe we can start anew and enlighten each other .

Run Low Drive On

.where's sleeatack and shux when ya need them...lol

if you get 15 ft underground, it stays 50F degrees, basically
    And under two feet of snow the temp never drops below 27*.
    So what?