Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best tool sharpener?

Default Best tool sharpener?

Was trying the other day to sharpen an axe with a dremel tool and it was taking
    way to long and not giving me the edge I wanted. I thought there must be a better way. Got on the YouTube and started looking around. Lots of different ideas. Files, bench grinders, belt sanders, dremel, commercial sharpening systems, etc

Mind you Iím not looking to sharpen knives- already have a good knife sharpener. Sharpening tools- axes, hatchets, shovels, garden hoe, machetes, etc.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

I have a couple different belt sanders that work great for many sharpening chores.

takes a "village" - everything from a honing stone to a 8" grinder for making and keeping an edge ....

Nothing wrong with a good file and once it's worn it becomes good stock for a knife......
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I tried a dremel to sharpen something, I don't remember what right now, but think I fell asleep several times and still didn't finish.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Wow, you guys are better than me. I can't imagine using a dremel and not leaving gouges or ending up with flawless straight edge.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Nothing wrong with a good file and once it's worn it becomes good stock for a knife......
    File has always worked for me, too.

I use a Makita battery grinder with diamond blade to sharpen my hatchets, shovels and larger tools.....I have a different sharpener for knives....

I am terrible at sharpening most things. Step dad on the other hand can sharpen anything to whatever edge the tool requires. When I was growing up he used a small round whetstone for all his knives, and a file for ax, hatchet, scythe, mattox, shovel, chainsaw, etc. Most recently he got into woodworking and branched out his sharpening. He has settled on a Tormec powered sharpener. Different belts for different tools. Also has an adjustable guide that varies with what tool your sharpening. I can actually get an edge using it.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Thanks for the suggestions. That Tormec sharpener is incredible.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.