Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival food...how does your supply rate?

Default Survival food...how does your supply rate?

Is your food stash sufficient? Does it have all the micro/macro nutrients required to maintain body weight and health?

https://www.askaprepper.com/what-rea...ood-when-shtf/

Hard to say. At my BOL we have a 11 1/2 month growing season, so don't really need that much supplemental stuff. Still have a decent variety of MH, MRE's more for BO, and several years supply Walton canned stuff, and lotsa seeds. Need to add a few pallets of salt, probably from local feed store.

I live short term, up to about 12 days so far, on mostly MH meals, adding bullion cubes to the water, when doing pack in hunts.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Depending upon how you define "sufficient" But to me NO! But I'm my own worse enemy on being satisfied with what we have. Most people might ne happy with what we have. I'm satisfied that we could "survive" for a while on what we have. BUT I don't want to just survive! I want us to be as close to normal as possible giving X situation. I want more than just staples. I want to ad more variety and a LOT more comfort related foods.

Like Chip said, we have a very long growing season. 11 months worth. I've been canning and dehydration for about 50 years. The last near 4 years I've been freeze drying our home grown produce and locally raised meats. I rotate every year and we eat fresh from the garden for several months before diving into stored foods. Everything stored is organic.
    At the end of our growing season I let the rest go to seed for collection to grow the next growing season and a lot of seeds are set back for emergency evacuation. Purchased MRE's are not my thing because I can make my own version that will last just as long and I know what's in them and where they came from and how they were vacuum packed in Mylar and labeled.
    We are completely satisfied with our basically off grid life style. The only thing we are tied to is electric and cell service and we will be just fine without either one of those. We have an abundant alternate source.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Like Chip said, we have a very long growing season. 11 months worth. I've been canning and dehydration for about 50 years. The last near 4 years I've been freeze drying our home grown produce and locally raised meats. I rotate every year and we eat fresh from the garden for several months before diving into stored foods. Everything stored is organic.
    At the end of our growing season I let the rest go to seed for collection to grow the next growing season and a lot of seeds are set back for emergency evacuation. Purchased MRE's are not my thing because I can make my own version that will last just as long and I know what's in them and where they came from and how they were vacuum packed in Mylar and labeled.
    We are completely satisfied with our basically off grid life style. The only thing we are tied to is electric and cell service and we will be just fine without either one of those. We have an abundant alternate source.
    Off-grid is the only way to go as far as I am concerned, if you live in a rural or isolated area. I agree with your lifestyle completely. Having a fast moving, deep, stream which lets me use the water turbine generator as my primary power source is absolutely great. No fuel to buy, and it provides power 24/7, year round. I have roughly a 5-year supply of stored food, and rotate every 5 years, donating the "old" supply to the homeless shelters in the area. The garden takes care of veggies, and I do a lot of hunting...keep the freezer full of everything from groundhog and rabbit to wild hog meat and ducks/turkeys. Even my dogs eat rather well, as all the scraps and cleanings go to supplement their dog food. My only "ties" to the outside world is the wi-fi and cell phone, and i could get along without them as I have a ham radio to keep up with things on. I'm perfectly happy with my "loner/isolated existence!!"

We always have more food on hand than most families, including several cases of canned goods, and easy to fix meals. Both freezers are full, the fridges are jammed, but we still need more home canned veggies, and meats.

The main thing we are weak on is meat/protein. Canned meats are so expensive....

I'll be eating wild meat if it gets to that point, so calories could be an issue.
    I wish we had running water, but have to make it on water wells. Submersibles, solar submersibles, and windmills being the flavor of the day. My biggest concern is longevity of solar submersibles. I run them at about 50% duty cycle, enough to keep troughs filled at about 800 g/day and they last a few years.
    I really want a NG genny because I have two wells within about 1/4 mile from the house and one is low enough pressure and dry to work well, if I can get the gas to the house.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Look at the Minnesota Starvation study that was done in the 40's. The guys were fed 1560 calories each day and they were just skin and bones and not really capable of work or even traveling on foot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...ion_Experiment

The best guide to determine how much food you need is use the old rule of thumb for dry goods. 500 pounds per person per year. And you will certainly not get fat off that much food either. And that is dry food like wheat/flour, rice, dried beans. Wet canned food would require maybe three times or more as far as food weight.
    Also there will likely period of time when your body adjusts to a different diet. During that time your body will not absorb all the nutrients and you will likely be rather miserable and lose some weight.
    With food storage there is a lot to know. Some people will have no problems because they are eating just stuff they grow or raise now on their farms/homesteads. But few people are living that lifestyle.