Thread: Traffic and adjusting ones lifestyle.....for surival...

Default Traffic and adjusting ones lifestyle.....for surival...

For my sanity ...and or survival..I have recalibrated my lifestyle ...when possible...to go to the bank on Wednesday or Thursday...so as to not have to face the Friday traffic and lines at said bank. Same or similar at the stores.

I greatly dislike Fridays around here..particularly when the welfare people get paid and also the military...the crowds, lines, traffic, and resulting chaos around town are miserable to me.

Hence I have learned to recalibrate my lifestyle to attempt to do this on Wednesday or Thursday.

In my situation this is much easier to do than for most with a family.

However...one stop I have made this week is to go across the street from the bank to my favorite coin store and purchase two .9 fine silver dollars...dated 1923 and 1901 and put them away.

I hope to keep this up as long as possible.

Planning to get a roll...$10.00 of silver quarters as well.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

I do as well, and try to hit grocery store by 7 am. Get in and out before things get ugly.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

I try to avoid those times as well, but it is still good once in a while to go into the traffic. I do this purposely to see what roads are taken most often, and to find side streets and alternative routes that 99% of the population do not know. I do this because as much as we would like to avoid the crowds, there could be a time when we do not have a choice but to deal with the traffic. A temporary SHTF situation could throw you into the middle of the traffic. Or a SHTF situation could bring the traffic to the days and times that you go to the stores.

So I urge everyone to take a bit of time to use the traffic as a learning experience instead of a dreaded thing to avoid at all costs.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I get to deal with it 5 days a week, morning and afternoon. 34 miles each way. I have 3 primary routes to take. And have scouted a couple secondaries for portions of the trip. Also have scouted portions of the route to take on foot.
    Traffic sucks, but not much way to get around it everyday.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I run into Marble Falls daily, but go around 7 to miss it. When I run to ranch, I hit San Antonio by 6 to avoid morning traffic, and if making day run, hit it again by 2 pm to avoid evening rush, because I'm not sure what moron named it that because nobody rushes anywhere.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Being in Vacation-Land, I leave my AO very little. Lived here most of my life, so I know the backroads well
    =
    Make America under God Again
    =

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    ...because I'm not sure what moron named it that because nobody rushes anywhere...
    Back in the early 1960's, as commuting became a thing with limited cars on the U.S. (#) highways, people would rush to their cars and rush to their exit routes. As more and more cars would enter the roadways because of a booming economy, it was an already established term, "rush hour." These began in the eastern seaboard Baltimore/D.C. areas, Delaware Valley, Newark/NYC almost simultaneously. I could just be making up a good yarn...but...
    Last edited by VoorTrekker; 07-14-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

The U.S. Highways were established by Congress from the immediate post-Amble days to the 1947 Truman reform acts for improving highways. West Virginia had its first paved road in 1947. These were two lane "undivided" highways with the solid stripe down the center. Then the Eisenhower System was established, two lanes of uninterrupted travel for strategic lines of communications.

In the early 1960's people would commute from the suburbs to the city for work and commute back to the suburbs. This was the "rush hour." (From VoorTrekker's "History of Road Terminologies.")
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."