Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbies !!! - Do Your OWN Research

Default Newbies !!! - Do Your OWN Research

https://www.smartpreppergear.com/bes...-containers-3/

article on water containers - mainly for the newbies starting out >>>> OK on the surface - unless you have some practical experience and realize the article is 100% paid advertisement ....

the article recommends the "everything camping" brand Coghlin's for their poly collapsible water jug >>>> great for "last minute" water collecting - but you don't long term store water in something that vulnerable - and once used it neeeds to be carefully dried before re-storing ....

along the same lines - the bathtub poly storage bladders don't even get a mention - neither the Water Bob or Aqua Pod - noooo matter your water storage plan everyone needs one of these >>>> AGAIN for "last minute" water storage and not long term - obviously no $$$$$ in it for the article author ....

Aqua-tainers >>>> absolutely nothing wrong - available at the big box stores - but hardly the only brand available that are $$$$ and quality equal >>> bugging out? - there's poly containers that are up to the more durable challenges ....

what suggestions do you have?

For home water storage in an apartment the common 5 to 7 gallon blue plastic water containers (like sold everywhere) are a good choice because they are easy to store, easy to grab and carry, easy to buy additional, and relatively cheap.
    For rural dwellers then 50 gallon blue barrels, caged IBC totes, or the large black/dark green water storage tanks are more practical and allow much greater storage capacity.

Keep in mind that EVERY house out there has at least 30 gallons of water stored, and most newer homes have 50 gallons. It is stored in your water heater. There is a lot of new construction in the area where I currently live so there are always a lot of new, empty houses with 50 gallons of water each.

Once we get out of this rental and back into our own house Iíll be building another rain catchment system so we will always have at least 100 gallons of water that needs to be filtered, but is then drinkable.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

As a last ditch effort and caught out and away from usable water, collecting water from the air IS some excellent need to know information and easy.

I keep a fairly good size flat folded piece of 4 mil plastic sheet in the bottom my EDC bag. We have used this process while camping up in the Guadaloupe Mountains.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    As a last ditch effort and caught out and away from usable water, collecting water from the air IS some excellent need to know information and easy.

I keep a fairly good size flat folded piece of 4 mil plastic sheet in the bottom my EDC bag. We have used this process while camping up in the Guadaloupe Mountains.
    I've seen "Guzzlers" all over west Texas utilizing that same principle to collect water from air. I'm guessing the plastic works just the same. Why do we not see Guzzlers in other parts of the state? Different atmospheric conditions, or is water just easier to acquire from pipelines, windmills, solar, or whatever?
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Keep in mind that EVERY house out there has at least 30 gallons of water stored, and most newer homes have 50 gallons. It is stored in your water heater. There is a lot of new construction in the area where I currently live so there are always a lot of new, empty houses with 50 gallons of water each.

Once we get out of this rental and back into our own house Iíll be building another rain catchment system so we will always have at least 100 gallons of water that needs to be filtered, but is then drinkable.

if you are depending on the water heater and plumbing run entrapped water it's important to protect it from outside contamination ....

before the SHTF hits or closely afterward you need to close the main supply faucet for the building - municipal water supply might continue but its quality could be compromised - broken supply pipes, off line purification equipment, contaminated reservoirs, ect ect ....

Water is for the weak. I just stockpile whiskey and beer. Psss water..lol

driftz240.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Water is for the weak. I just stockpile whiskey and beer. Psss water..lol
    Solid answer to the question of sanitation.

POTD candidate.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

There is a very large and clean pot of water on the porch for the dogs, there is also an old tire beside the shop. Guess where the dogs prefer to drink? That's why I haven't moved the old tire...
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.