Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home-build computers....

Default home-build computers....

Anyone into building their own custom computer setup?

Couple years ago I put together a desk top set-up that has worked well for me and is not likely to become obsolete anytime soon as long as I update/upgrade the OS. (Currently Windows 10 Pro, build 17763.) I used a 4.0 GHz CPU, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, and a 1 TB HDD, along with a mid-level NVidia graphics card (4 GB RAM), and a Sound Blaster Extreme sound card. Hooked up a 1 TB external HDD for backup, Wireless keyboard and mouse, wi-Fi dongle, and a Logitech surround sound speaker system with 4 outriggers, 2 center channel speakers, and the subwoofer, and I have a 27" monitor. Computer/TV hooked into XFinity (Comcast), and have had no problems with XFinity in over two years. Don't need cable, everything feeds through the Wi-Fi....Internet and TV.

Also have a standard (Walmart purchase off the shelf) laptop...Dell Latitude, 2.5 GHz CPU, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 250 GB HDD, Windows 10 Pro.

I don't really much care for Windows/Microsoft, but if you disable or uninstall most of the Microsoft junk you can substitute open source freeware..much of which is better than Microsoft's software in the first place. I use the Opera and Firefox browsers, avoiding IE and Edge like the plague. One thing I like about Opera is it has a built-in VPN feature.

I'm such a Luddite I'm lucky I can turn a computer on. I have an I Phone .... haven't figured out yet how they get all the vacuum tubes in such a small thingie.

Whoa.......iphones have liddle vacuum tubes? whoda thunk

I have been slowly doing a custom-build over the past couple years to maximize XP Pro. Finding legacy components in good working order takes time, as it seems I have lots of competition from other buyers, which has made parts even more scarce, and jacked the price. Currently I have a used Dell Optiplex 755 I bought off Ebay, as my interim PC. When I took it to the local computer shop to have it cleaned of any malware (none found), I had them switch out the CD-ROM for a DVD burner, install 8GB RAM, and stick a mobile-rack in the 5.25" bay.

I built all mine except the laptop and tablet. Did a dual boot on laptop win/linux, contemplating going all linux. Windows and android too much spyware.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I have been building computers for the last 15 or so years. Now that I am "retired", people are bringing their dead or dieing computers to me to repair. Sounds like you have a nice set up. I go a little lighter on the CPU and heavier on the Graphics. I also run a Linux based OS and dump the whole Microsoft thing.

If you really want to have some fun, try one of those single board micro computers like Beaglebone or Raspberry Pie. They don't have any serial number that they broadcast to the world and they run Umbutu(Linux)
    We learn from history that we do not learn from history. Georg Wilhelm F. Hegel

Quote Originally Posted by Tinhatter View Post
    I have been slowly doing a custom-build over the past couple years to maximize XP Pro. Finding legacy components in good working order takes time, as it seems I have lots of competition from other buyers, which has made parts even more scarce, and jacked the price. Currently I have a used Dell Optiplex 755 I bought off Ebay, as my interim PC. When I took it to the local computer shop to have it cleaned of any malware (none found), I had them switch out the CD-ROM for a DVD burner, install 8GB RAM, and stick a mobile-rack in the 5.25" bay.
    I am an XP Pro fan, too. I dumped all the Microsoft crap, and installed open source freeware to replace it. (Office Libre, SuperAntispyware, Smart Defrag, CCleaner, Wise Care 365, yada, yada, yada.) Works just fine.

I've been using a Samsung Note 7 "Spin" for a couple of years. After much research, I concluded this was the ONLY laptop/tablet that I could add a lot more RAM for processing photos and videos - went from the standard 12 GB of RAM to 32 GB overnight - easy install once you figger out how to get that back cover off to get at the "guts".

Not long ago, upgraded the internal drive to a Crucial Technologies MX500 1 TB solid state drive - again, easier than I had imagined. YouTube was helpful, if only to learn where the parts are hiding under that cover.

I use a Samsung 2 TB external drive for backing up important works - books in progress, photos, etc. Redundant backups are the name of the game in computing, so I also take advantage of Amazon Prime's offer for FREE unlimited photo uploads. For less than typical off-site storage solutions, I have over 25,000 photos stored on their servers at no extra cost to me, since I use Prime anyway.

Next project will be replacing the mechanical 2 TB internal storage drive with a 2 or 4 TB SSD so everything inside is solid state and much less prone to failure. With all this discussion about Windows junk, I'm going to research some of the options offered here before migrating away from Windows 10.
    Last edited by TheCitizenPatriot; 07-14-2019 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by GR82BPREPD View Post
    I have been building computers for the last 15 or so years. Now that I am "retired", people are bringing their dead or dieing computers to me to repair. Sounds like you have a nice set up. I go a little lighter on the CPU and heavier on the Graphics. I also run a Linux based OS and dump the whole Microsoft thing.
    If you really want to have some fun, try one of those single board micro computers like Beaglebone or Raspberry Pie. They don't have any serial number that they broadcast to the world and they run Umbutu(Linux)
    I just got a new laptop...Lenovo Thinkpad t430...picked it up at the pawnshop for $130!! Gotta be the deal of the decade!! 2.6 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, and the first thing I did was install Ubuntu and get shed of Microsoft completely.

Good setup CP!!