Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UK maritime group urges ‘extreme caution’ after unspecified incident

A modern mine is a torpedo....with a program...

It can sit on the bottom and wait until a noise is picked up...activate and then run down it's target. It can also move it's location as programmed...thus making it difficult to locate.

These are economy class mines.

Also if you think about one of the photos being circulated of mines or mine damage on the hull of a ship...it shows the mine and or damage above the waterline of the ship.

Mines are designed to do damage below the waterline of a ship wherein the water pressure helps the explosion penetrate the ships hull by directing the blast force into the hull...by the presence of water....below the water line....not above the waterline wherein it is only air ...and the explosion will be mostly forced away from the Hull.

Torpedoes the same thing...below the waterline.

I am not so sure many of the people making comments on those articles in the news are aware of this about mines and torpedoes.

Here in this article looking at the photo of the side of the ship...above the waterline.

https://www.prisonplanet.com/us-rele...nker-hull.html

Scroll down to where the side of a tanker is shown...close to the response by someone named Steve Herman...and see the photo of the side of the tanker....the supposed mine is above the waterline....also the damage..above the waterline.

It should be below the waterline...not above.

Just something I noticed quickly about the photo....

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Orangetom

Some of the people on one of these ships insist a missile hit them, not a underwater mine or torpedo. That could explain the above the waterline damage.

Agree...but much of the media seems want to push the mine narrative.

Thinking something like a heavy RPG or such. RPGs today come in heavier armor penetrating varieties....capable of penetrating ship hulls.

Looks like in one of the photos aft...something hit the hull..but not able to penetrate..

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

Well, WTI jumped about 5% when the reports came out, so I really don't care if the Straits are sealed off, Texas will flourish. Bring it on.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Well, WTI jumped about 5% when the reports came out, so I really don't care if the Straits are sealed off, Texas will flourish. Bring it on.
    absolutely
    another version of winning
    the US is now a net exporter of petroleum products thanks to fracking and Trump admin regulatory pull back
    the US is far better able to handle supply disruption and higher prices than we were in the Odumbo era.
    for once in decades the US is better off (fly over country at least) than in maybe 50 years
    do I care if the left coast and Kommieformia pay $5/gallon - not for a New York minute because that will be a great wealth transfer from the coasts to the heartland.
    only downside is the farmers will have to pay more.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    At some point if they keep messing with soft targets they will get enough of the wrong targets. I say this because in the long run...they will be messing with insurance companies....one of which is a company called Lloyds of London...and it's subsidiaries.

You mess with these insurance companies enough....and they will themselves call down hell....to protect their investments....even if they have to resort to private armies and navies.

I am not sure many of us are thinking this through. I'm not sure Iran is thinking this through ...nuclear weapons or not...

Messing with the USA is one thing..but messing with international finance and insurance companies is something totally different. This is a very very different kind of Ishmaelite when you are messing with finance...companies...loaning monies on these ships, cargos, and the insurance companies who insure the loans and the ships.cargos both.

IT will be two different Ishmaelites messing with each other.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Orangetom
    Very astute observation, OT. Not sure there's any binding "law", just agreements about countries not wanting armed merchant vessels in their water/harbors and with the economic power wielded by Lloyd's and the others, we could see some vigilante justice dispensed in the very near future. If that'll get the job done without us havin' to do too much, that's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Vale74 View Post
    Very astute observation, OT. Not sure there's any binding "law", just agreements about countries not wanting armed merchant vessels in their water/harbors and with the economic power wielded by Lloyd's and the others, we could see some vigilante justice dispensed in the very near future. If that'll get the job done without us havin' to do too much, that's fine with me.
    Agree Rich_Vale74...agree.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishamelite

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Vale74 View Post
    I'm with ya 100% Rich. Time people took care of their own problems instead of yelling for the U. S. to handle it.

Somethings not right about all of this........two Japanese flagged tankers are attacked reportedly by Iran.......while the Japanese President is in Iran on a state visit???

Is this a "stupid is as stupid does" moment?