Thread: something digging up my corn seed

Default something digging up my corn seed

OK you master gardeners, I have a question for you. For the last several years something has been digging up my corn seed , sometimes the same day I plant it , but usually within just a few days. Also digging up the corn shortly after it sprouts . The holes are about the size of a quarter. Sometimes the seed is eaten , sometimes not . If the sprouts are dug up , same thing, sometimes the seed is eaten sometimes not.

I have tried everything ; spray , seven dust, coffee grounds , row covers, even got desperate this year and tried moth balls. Nothing works .

Is it moles , voles , chipmunks ? I don't see any mole hills but we do have lots of voles and chipmunks.

They don't touch any other seed , not the beans, cucumbers, squash, nothing else at all.

Thanks in advance for your help .

Around here itís the squirrels or the raccoons that dig them up.

not sure what might be causing it, but you might try hot pepper sauce (diluted)
    most mammals will avoid that, but it won't work on birds if they are the culprets
    and you might try a game camera to see what the pest is

Squirrels or coons would be my bet. I've had corn pulled once it breaks thru by crows. Pull the plant and eat the seed then.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

sounds more like a bird - squirrels and moles are diggers >>> they throw dirt behind them like a freaking bulldozer ...

you got sea gulls or geese around? - they'll walk down a row eating like a demon ....

Can't be birds or coons , caused it happened under the row cover also and the cover wasn't disturbed. Thanks for the hot pepper sauce tip explo, I'll give that a try.