Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got my riding lawnmower working......

Default I got my riding lawnmower working......

I put this in the survival section because I was not looking forward as I approach my autumn years to plodding in the back end of my walk behind mowers. This 42 inch Craftsman Riding Mower has spoiled me more than I had realized. I bought it new more than 15 years ago.

The coil where it picks up the magnetic piece on the flywheel had gone bad...no spark...no fire on the wire so to speak.

Removed the olde one and put the new one and gapped it with my .010 brass feeler gauge and it ran well.

This time I did something I have done to my walk behind mowers....I installed a shut off valve in the fuel line after the fuel filter. If I am going to have it sit up for awhile ..I decided it best to shut off this valve and let the engine starve for fuel...thus drying the carburetor....empty. I need to get one more of these shut off valves for my third push mower recently acquired. Northern Tool has them.

Nonetheless..I am glad to have my riding mower back on the line and ready to go.

One of these days I need to get my favorite tunes downloaded to my MP3 player for helping me with yard work.

And now you know .........."The Rest of the Story."

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 06-04-2019 at 07:57 PM.

It amazes me that with so many negatives coming from ethanol, that they keep pushing it. Kinda reminds me of emissions standards.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Never doubted it would be running again.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    It amazes me that with so many negatives coming from ethanol, that they keep pushing it. Kinda reminds me of emissions standards.

agree KINGCHIP..agree.

Never doubted it would be running again.

This one Flock6...was causing me a bit of anxiety....as I don't have another riding mower. IF my car goes on the fritz or truck...no worries...I can get around on one of three scooters....

But for some reason ..this one was stressing me out.

You know...Flock6...I have all this fancy scmancy powered yard gear to make it easier...bells and whistles and all that.....and I still don't like to do yard work.
    Reckon I burned out on it as a teenager. But at the same time I don't like paying someone else to do it for me.

Thanks

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

I love doing yard work but my body hates me afterwards. My generator has a factory fuel shut off right at the carb. I added another one at the fuel petcock on the fuel tank. This works really well since the factory fuel shut off still lets a little fuel through(not enough to keep the engine running though). So when the fuel gets turned off, I turn it off at the fuel tank first.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I live near one of the large ethenol production facilities in NW Ohio. This plant uses 6,000,000 bushels of corn every year to produce ethenol (ironically the same amount of corn that my rural county grows in an average year. This year has been the wettest on record for the history of this area, so we might produce half of that 6M. This means that not only food prices, but also fuel prices will be going up.

To the OP, your fuel shut off plan is a good one, I can't count the number of mowers that I bought cheap, or was given, because of a fouled carb, or no spark.

I scan the buy/sell/trade FB sites for freebies & the cheap >>>> can't believe sometimes the mower & tractor deals - if you can get there 1st - people virtually giving away equipment because it didn't start this spring >>>> know damn well it's probably an eazy fuel fix ....

OT - I have the same mower......love it! I just got it running again....same problem, gas/carburetor. I will install one of those valves, great idea....
    Mine does not cut grass, use it this time of year (after the rains stop) to mow down massive weeds, then use it to drag the lot with a heavy fence roll, levels out the ruts and holes....

I buy a new pulan pro rider every 3 years. I pay about $1100 new at Lowe's. I sell the old one for about 500$.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    I buy a new pulan pro rider every 3 years. I pay about $1100 new at Lowe's. I sell the old one for about 500$.
    For the $3300 you spent, you could have gotten a really nice zero turn that is just broken in after 9 years.