Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Military air traffic...

Default Military air traffic...

As a air Force vet I am not surprised by military aircraft. I live within about 50 miles of wright Patt afb. Out in the middle of nowhere Ohio. I was outside hosting a range day with some other competitive shooters at my place...and all day. Blackhawks have been flying about 500 feet directly above my range. Then finally a few moments ago 3 beautiful ch47 Chinooks just flew over. They looked to be freshly painted of green. They we're close enough to see vibrant details. But the Chinooks were unmarked. No branch no tail numbers. I looked up on adsbexchange current in flight mil aircraft and there not on there . Wright Patt does not appear to be having an excercise. Something might be up

nothing much on the Darkside popping >>> same crap going on in the Middle East - the dumbazz Iraqi fired off a couple of long range missiles - didn't hit crap - the Jews came back and blew Damascus all to hell - same ole' same ....

They did not come back on adsbexchange witch is odd. This means they were probably a security issue so they didn't list them. They we're flying well below radar. In the middle of nowhere. I looked up refueling aircraft in flight and there were a few. I am on the lookout to where kc135s pop up now

We have a Army Guardbase at the nearest Airport. They normally only have Blackhawks based there. Last week I watched as 3 CH-47's flew over in formation. Within 5 minutes a flight of 5 Apaches flew over, exact same route. I assume they were coming in to refuel on their way to somewhere else. But it's rare to see the combination and the numbers in particular.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I've seen several such C130 aircraft...painted matte black...no tail numbers...no decals. they had some additional antennas in addition to the regular compliment of aerials.

Usually such aircraft rotary or fixed wing are for special tasking. They will often operate in a manner which does not show up on regular transponding equipment....IFF for those not in the know.
    Identification Friend or Foe.

But today with more emphasis on special team operations..I am not surprised that more of them would be showing up across this nation.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Been seeing a lot of helicopters going north lately. I'm guessing it's early summer exercises for army or NG they usually follow Interstate 35 north from Fort Hood and head over to Fort Sill. I haven't seen many going south lately, of course we have lots of bases here.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

I see them moving South pretty often. Sometimes 10 at a time.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    I've seen several such C130 aircraft...painted matte black...no tail numbers...no decals. they had some additional antennas in addition to the regular compliment of aerials.

Usually such aircraft rotary or fixed wing are for special tasking. They will often operate in a manner which does not show up on regular transponding equipment....IFF for those not in the know.
    Identification Friend or Foe.

But today with more emphasis on special team operations..I am not surprised that more of them would be showing up across this nation.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Can't provide anything concerning the helicopters, but the C-130s could be Air Force Spec Ops birds of some sort.

They were Olde Timer....they were.

The Lockheed C130 is an aircraft, in like manner to the B52, for which the taxpayer has gotten their monies out of them. These aircraft continue to fill a valuable slot in tasking from hauling parts, mail,, beans and butter...to combat and infiltration roles. Even the US Coast Guard uses them.

It is unusual for an aircraft to serve in a front line role for over 40 to 50 years...and the C130 and the B52 both are there on the front lines every day...and in particular a front line combat role.

I've been to many a unit briefing wherein they showed the latest Vietnam videos and C130s landing in some remote dirt strip...landing behind the hill and slowing down as they come over the other side to reverse engines in a cloud of dust and drop off their cargo....and often without shutting down engines and sometimes while continuing to taxi....never stopping..shoving it out the tail ramp....and then go back out on that same olde dirt strip. Very impressive.

High angle of attack on landing and take off....takes some real pilot skill...to get in and out like that...often under fire.

I've watched them train for that out here at Langley AFB many years ago....even radical crabbing when landing in a high cross wind. Again very impressive.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 06-03-2019 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    They were Olde Timer....they were.

The Lockheed C130 is an aircraft, in like manner to the B52, for which the taxpayer has gotten their monies out of them. These aircraft continue to fill a valuable slot in tasking from hauling parts, mail,, beans and butter...to combat and infiltration roles. Even the US Coast Guard uses them.

It is unusual for an aircraft to serve in a front line role for over 40 to 50 years...and the C130 and the B52 both are there on the front lines every day...and in particular a front line combat role.

I've been to many a unit briefing wherein they showed the latest Vietnam videos and C130s landing in some remote dirt strip...landing behind the hill and slowing down as they come over the other side to reverse engines in a cloud of dust and drop off their cargo....and often without shutting down engines and sometimes while continuing to taxi....never stopping..shoving it out the tail ramp....and then go back out on that same olde dirt strip. Very impressive.

High angle of attack on landing and take off....takes some real pilot skill...to get in and out like that...often under fire.

I've watched them train for that out here at Langley AFB many years ago....even radical crabbing when landing in a high cross wind. Again very impressive.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    The C-130, especially, is truly an amazing airplane. I don't know any other airplane in our inventory today that can fill all the roles of the C-130. And the strength and power of those engines, which look so small when you view the entire aircraft, is unbelievable. When I was at Clark Air Base, Philippines, in 1965-66, there was a long flat grass field adjacent to the base. One day the Civil Engineers dugd a trench, sloped at both ends. A C-130 was taxied down into the trench and dirt was pushed back into the hole filling it up to the belly of the airplane...completely covering the landing gear. When the throttle was applied that bird came out of that hole like it was nothing. It truly is an amazing airplane. I don't know if it will ever be retired. Same with the B-52. They just keep upgrading the avionics on it and keeping it flying. Both birds are venerable old "war horses" I see being around for a long time to come.