Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Military air traffic...

The c130 is is still in production vs the b52 who’s newest airframe is getting close to 50years old.

The tools and jigs to make the c130 are there but all of those for the 52 have been scrapped long ago.
    Hell the men who built them are by now retired and watching their grandchildren fly the old birds.

They truly don’t build them like they used to.

Just had 2 tilt rotor military planes fly over heading north. This is not too far away from the I-35 corridor.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Just had 2 tilt rotor military planes fly over heading north. This is not too far away from the I-35 corridor.
    Sounds like you're describing the V-22 Osprey.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Sounds like you're describing the V-22 Osprey.

Yeah, that’s the ones. All I could remember how they were referred to are tilt rotor planes.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Big-D View Post
    The c130 is is still in production vs the b52 who’s newest airframe is getting close to 50years old.

The tools and jigs to make the c130 are there but all of those for the 52 have been scrapped long ago.
    Hell the men who built them are by now retired and watching their grandchildren fly the old birds.

They truly don’t build them like they used to.
    According to a pilot we met at an air show a few years ago, The B52 is expected to be retired around 2050. A HUNDRED FREAKIN YEARS! That's like using a sopwith camel for close air support. Of course all of the airframe, avionics and power plant upgrades basically make it just a 60+ year old she'll.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Yeah but that was before Trump took the reins. Maybe he will retire them, if he hasn't already, for actually military functions. Or possibly keep them in use for the Army National Guard.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

the airframes can have sections, ribs, stringers, frame pieces, bulk heads replaced theres a entire shop / afsc for that in the airforce. so in theory i doubt any plane made in the 60s has many parts it left the factory with.

I wouldn't be surprised if the B52 doesn't fly another 20 years are more.
    no longer is it the penetration bomber trying to evade defenses to deliver first strike.
    and with all the new stand off weapons, all it needs to do is get close after the B2, F35, and others have taken out air defenses.
    so it is now basically a bomb truck

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    the airframes can have sections, ribs, stringers, frame pieces, bulk heads replaced theres a entire shop / afsc for that in the airforce. so in theory i doubt any plane made in the 60s has many parts it left the factory with.
    There's no doubt about that. My old office mate was a B52 pilot in desert storm, (he was on one of the crews that bombed the Iraqi army while they were leaving Kuwait. He said they were patching them together with refurb parts back then even. Saw a cool show about the c5 and how they are doing the same with parts from the boneyard at Davis Monthan IIRC.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

There's no doubt about that. My old office mate was a B52 pilot in desert storm, (he was on one of the crews that bombed the Iraqi army while they were leaving Kuwait. He said they were patching them together with refurb parts back then even. Saw a cool show about the c5 and how they are doing the same with parts from the boneyard at Davis Monthan IIRC.
    The boneyard in Tucson, Arizona is something which came out of the discovery of a B24 Bomber named Lady Be Good which was discovered years after WW2 crashed deep in the Libyan Desert. The people combing the wreck discovered much of the equipment was still serviceable..albeit needing cleaning and operational checks..but serviceable.
    The Desert air was helpful in this long term preservation.

The Boneyard out in Tucson, Arizona is often getting it's stored parts and aircraft to put together serviceable aircraft for the US Air Force as well as aircraft for other nations who purchase from us. It is quite a place to observe from the satellite on Google Earth....the number of olde aircraft stored there.
    The C 5 is no longer being made but a lot of parts are stored and catalogued out at the boneyard.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.