Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea for water storage

Default Idea for water storage

Was thinking about our regular country house (desert BOL is totally off-grid with well) and the only thing we will be dependent for will be water. So here's my idea; buy a water tank ($500 - $1000 at Tractor Supply) and put it on the property between the incoming water line and the house....run all water through the tank on its way to the house. Then in the event of 'AN EVENT' we would have a good amount of water sitting there. I would add a spigot to the side to draw water from, and maybe even could add a pump.....?

Thoughts? Any additions to the plan? I figure other than the initial cost of the tank, it's not wasting much, and in the event of SHTF it will come in really handy........

Just be sure and account for algae growth. Otherwise sounds like a good plan.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Just be sure and account for algae growth. Otherwise sounds like a good plan.
    Was wondering about that.....could I add a little input valve to add chlorine, maybe?

It should be ok during regular use, I'm thinking, since water will be running through it constantly. It should only be a problem once the flow stops and it sits for a while......

Good point.

In oilfield remote locations, they use black poly tanks. Block sun and you get little to no algae growth. Might consider an elevated location for the tank in the event you have nothing more than gravity to get it flowing. In Mx, almost every house, no matter how rich or poor, has tank(s) on roof.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Well pump will last longer with a tank as well. My mom has a 5000 gallon concrete tank with a float switch that activates the pump when it gets to a certain point. It has also helped with water quality too. The water was stinky out there, and the tank has allowed it to off gas before going into the home, and the water softener does the rest. Before they got the tank, I called their place stink water farms. They also put a 2" fire department ball valve on the front of the tank for a pumper to hook up if they have a fire. It's up hill from the stock tank so once a year the well guy comes out an hooks a hose up and drains the tank.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

If you're talking hooking the tank between your home and the city supply; it isn't that simple. The line is pressurized you will need some sort of valve. You will also need a pump from your tank to your home or the tank will need to be highly elevated to give you any kind of pressure.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

don't think those tanks are meant to handle much pressure - as flock points out.
    and you want the black or dark green one to avoid algae.
    like Kingchip says, elevate it to provide flow without power.

so taking all that into account - if you have a hill, put a black tank up there.
    if not build a 6X6 post platform (water is very heavy) to elevate it.
    don't pressurize it, just fill it from a hose or valved off water pipe
    the other alternative to elevation is to use an RV 12v pump. Cheap and effective - more or less - you won't get lots of flow, but you will have water.

highly doubt that tank you saw at Tractor Supply is food grade - they rarely are - add that to all the pressure and contamination problems ....

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Drinking hot water in the desert is counter-intuitive

The ideal setup would be as follows:

Tank is located underground but up hill from the house.

Pump delivers water to tank with "tank full" shutoff.

Water to house is gravity fed.

The house has a sprinkler system on a timer. Maybe plant a few rows of tomatoes/potatoes, onions, etc. This keeps the water from getting stagnant in the lines.

Pump can be Solarjack or similar, no grid dependency.

Those tanks won't hold pressurized water so at minimum you would need a secondary on-demand pump to the house if gravity feed is impractical.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.