Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea for water storage

I assume you wanted to run the incoming water line through the tank so the stored water would remain fresh, which was a good idea but not viable because of the water pressure. You could put the tank anywhere on your property and and just fill it manually and have a separate pump from that tank to feed the house in an emergency. In which case you would have to shut off the main feed line so you would not be back-feeding that water line (or install a check valve).

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    If you're talking hooking the tank between your home and the city supply; it isn't that simple. The line is pressurized you will need some sort of valve. You will also need a pump from your tank to your home or the tank will need to be highly elevated to give you any kind of pressure.
    Thanks all, good input...

In case I wasn't clear :-) This will only be under pressure during normal times..in the event of SHTF, This would just be a static storage tank that I could draw from....

Our house ( and where the tank would go) is at the top slope of the property, unfortunately, so it would have to be pumped or just drawn from with a spigot at the bottom.

Yes to the shut-off and check valves...

I also realized I will need to run the input into the bottom of the tank and the output out of the top (otherwise the tank wouldn't fill, duh)

Here is the tank I saw:
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=-10005

That's pretty much what oilfield uses. I would not worry too much about food grade but I think my body is accustomed to less sanitary water, I've been drinking out of cow troughs for as long as I can remember, but worse case, it could always be boiled.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    I assume you wanted to run the incoming water line through the tank so the stored water would remain fresh, which was a good idea but not viable because of the water pressure. You could put the tank anywhere on your property and and just fill it manually and have a separate pump from that tank to feed the house in an emergency. In which case you would have to shut off the main feed line so you would not be back-feeding that water line (or install a check valve).
    I'm not getting why water pressure is an issue.....? The water would flow into the tank and out the other side.....when nothing was on in the house, of course, it would be 75PSI inside the tank, but wouldn't they be rated for that? Guess I'd better check...

it would be 75PSI inside the tank, but wouldn't they be rated for that?
    No they are rated for NO pressure. They are just storage tanks not pressure tanks.

No they are rated for NO pressure. They are just storage tanks not pressure tanks.
    Ditto this. Figure out how many square inches per side... that's the p-s-I. Now multiply that by 75.

No way are those tanks rated for that. They'll split a seam in short order if they don't blow the lid first.

These tanks are designed to hold water at rest, not pressurized water.

An "on-demand" pump such as are used in motorhomes and travel trailers is what you would need. And that pump needs to be near the tank and PUSH the water up rather than at the house trying to suck it up like a straw. 25 feet is about max due to air pressure... realise the pump is just removing air from the pipe and ambient air pressure is PUSHING it up. Once you exceed that (about 15 psi at sea level and less as altitude increases) you have lost all the "push" and the pump can't suck anymore.
    Last edited by bruss01; 05-31-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I got it now, back to the drawing board.....maybe just run a line to the tank and fill it once in a while, then use it for our gardens (which are right there)

Quote Originally Posted by borrego View Post
    I got it now, back to the drawing board.....maybe just run a line to the tank and fill it once in a while, then use it for our gardens (which are right there)
    That is a good idea and by doing that you would be keeping the stored water fresh. Besides using the water in the tank occasionally you would have all that water in case of an emergency.

Besides using the water in the tank occasionally you would have all that water in case of an emergency.
    That was my goal originally.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    That's pretty much what oilfield uses. I would not worry too much about food grade but I think my body is accustomed to less sanitary water, I've been drinking out of cow troughs for as long as I can remember, but worse case, it could always be boiled.

you use food grade and nothing else for any water to be around humans & animals - if not FDA graded toxic chems are allowed in the production of poly containers and re-cycled poly for product base ...

there's no filtering that'll stop cancer or blown liver & kidneys ....