Thread: Ran my two small generators today...and did a op check.

Default Ran my two small generators today...and did a op check.

I have two small two cycle 71 CC generators rated at 1200 watts.

I ran them for about 10 minutes today and put a drop light on them as a load to check if they were working electrically. NO problems.

I wanted to run them for a bit before the storm season is upon us.

I shut the gas line to the Carburetor and let them starve for lack of fuel. I do the same with my lawn mowers when putting them up for the season.

I need to do the same with my large 7500 watt generator, run it and op check, and also put it's battery on the charger.

If you do not run them for a long time they sort of get arthritis...and get hard to start and or run ..if you do not shake them out on occasion. This is true of any such mechanical gear... or in this case...electro mechanical.

I also checked the air in the two bicycles I have hanging up as I detected the tires were low. Put air also in the tires on my hand truck and scooter tires.

Scooters..fuel tanks are topped off...and they are on the ready line if needed.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 05-25-2019 at 06:06 PM.

I'm over due on testing my Genny. And yep they do need to be ran from time to time.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post

I shut the gas line to the Carburetor and let them starve for lack of fuel. I do the same with my lawn mowers when putting them up for the season.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom
    I started up my Honda on Friday just to keep it ready. I also always run 'em dry by shutting off the fuel valve, found out the hard way this is mandatory

Thanks for the reminder, OT. Been slackin' on doin' this myself.

It's a good weekend for piddling.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    It's a good weekend for piddling.
    Your right about that flock6. Been working on my scooters as well. Cargo basket has come loose and I need to tighten it up before next week starts and time becomes a premium.

Borrego,

I started up my Honda on Friday just to keep it ready. I also always run 'em dry by shutting off the fuel valve, found out the hard way this is mandatory
    Yup...Borrego...exactly right. That is precisely how I learned this valuable lesson.

Thanks for everyones post,

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

We had a nasty storm move through last week that knocked our power out. After an hour I started getting my generator ready to run. No sooner did it start that the power came back on. I let it run for a few minutes and then shut the fuel off. It is always shocking how long a generator will run for after shutting the fuel off.

A little fuel dribbled out of the carb before it started though so itís time for a good carb cleaning.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best