Thread: A hero died today memorial day poem

Default A hero died today memorial day poem

Rest in peace brother, I know you will pass muster at the pearly gates.

He was getting old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast, as he sat around the Legion, Telling stories of the past.

Of a war that he once fought, and the deeds that he had done, his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

Sometimes his neighbors thought, his tales were just a joke, but his buddies listened quietly, for, they knew of what he spoke.

We will hear his tales no longer, for ol' Bob has passed away, and our world's a little poorer for a Soldier died today.

He won't be mourned by many, just his children and his wife. Because you know, he always lived an ordinary life.

He held a job, raised a family, and went quietly on his way; but the world won't note his passing, but a HERO died today.

When politicians leave this earth, their bodies lie in state, while thousands note their passing, and proclaim that they were great.

The papers tell their stories from the time that they were young but the passing of a Soldier, goes unnoticed, and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution to the welfare of our land, some jerk that breaks his promises and cons his fellow man?

Or the ordinary fellows who in times of war and strife, goes off to serve his country and offers up his life?

The politician's actions and the style in which he lives, Are often disproportionate, to the service that he gives.

While the ordinary Soldier who has offered up his all, is paid off with a medal, and perhaps a pension, small.

Itís not the politicians with their compromising ploys, who won for us the freedom that our country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger, with your enemies at hand, would you really want some politicians , with an ever waffling stand?

Or would you want a Soldier, His home, country and kin, just a common Soldier, Who would fight until the end.

He was just a common Soldier, and his ranks are growing thin, His presence should remind us, we may need his kind again.

When our country is in danger, it is the soldier's part to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.

If we canít give him honors, while he's here to hear our praise, at least let's give him homage, at the ending of his days.

Or, Perhaps a simply headline, in the paper, that might say.

"OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY."

REST IN PEACE BROTHER.

Author unknown

REMEMBER YOUR FREEDOMS WERE PAID FOR BY THE BLOOD OF AMERICAN VETERANS!!!!

Oh the pain we bear because so many today seem to have no knowledge of, or even care about, the cost of the freedoms they take so much for granted and enjoy.

Here on Memorial Day ..I remember......

Went to Northern Tool this morning on my scooter to get two matching Hydraulic 4 ton bottle jacks. On the way back I stopped by the Cemetery and my Mom and Dad's grave.

Dad was late WW2, then Berlin Air Lift...Korea and Vietnam. Dad was never actually PCS to Vietnam..but made several trips in and out troubleshooting...assistance..advice...I guess you could call it TDY. By the time he got here to Langley AFB and as an E9 who'd never been PCS to Vietnam...he figured if he reenlisted he was bound to have his number come up..so he put in his papers and got out. Smart Move on his part. I figure he'd done enough for this country flying that narrow corridor into and out of Berlin in the late 1940s...as a flight engineer on C54's. He ran the engine shops when he got out of flying status. Saw the Air Force transition from piston engines to jets.
    I miss Mom and Dad.

My lady friend is in the same cemetery ...and stopped by to speak to her as well as my Mother and Father. I miss her terribly.

Soon enough and in process of time ..I will be with them. Until then it is lonely out here...I miss them all.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

My dad enlisted late in the war, WWII, but never went "across the pond". He was sixteen when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. He was at Ft Lewis, Washington awaiting shipment to the Pacific theater when the war ended. He's buried in a cemetery in my hometown...Tifton, Ga. I, too, miss my lady, Tom. Last Saturday, the 25th, would have been our 50th wedding anniversary. She died two months and one week before. I didn't feel like, or do any celebrating. Without Sandy there was no point. I did take the time to remember that on that day 50 years ago I married, to me, the most wonderful, most beautiful woman who ever graced this planet. I miss her almost more than I can stand. I just don't think the pain will ever go away.

You fellas remain in my prayers.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    You fellas remain in my prayers.
    Than you, Flock. That means more than you'll ever know, buddy.

Thank you flock....thank You.

Orangetom