Thread: Amateur Radio Club Meeting.....then wedding receptioin.....

Default Amateur Radio Club Meeting.....then wedding receptioin.....

On Saturday I arose very early and went upstate about 85 miles to a meeting of an Amateur Radio Club. People came from both the north and south of the United States here to Virginia as members of this club. From as far away as Michigan and Ohio to down south in Florida.
    The Club has about 150 members and about 90 attended. I attended as a visitor and particularly to see my friend who moved from here in Virginia to Tennessee.

It was good to see my friend and his wife again.

This seems to be a well run Radio Club with lots of participation. It has been in operation since 1937.

I am normally not that social but greatly desired to see my olde friend as well as to connect some faces to the voices I heard coming across my radio...also hear radio experiences and life stories of others.

I left early as I had a wedding reception to attend back here at home. It is good to see a young couple starting out. I gave them a stack of Englehard Prospectors as a gift and wished them well.

My Non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom

I'm not much for clubs, but it sounds like you enjoyed yourself and that's what is important.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I'm not much for clubs, but it sounds like you enjoyed yourself and that's what is important.
    I did enjoy myself..but like you ..I am not much for clubs as well.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

I tried to join and enjoy our local ham club. Interesting group including two veteran operators, one aboard ship in WW II and another in Japan during Korean conflict. They don't use mics to converse, all Morse Code. Cool stuff, but quite the click, I just could not get in with the group enough to get an Elmer offer, so quit going.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I tried to join and enjoy our local ham club. Interesting group including two veteran operators, one aboard ship in WW II and another in Japan during Korean conflict. They don't use mics to converse, all Morse Code. Cool stuff, but quite the click, I just could not get in with the group enough to get an Elmer offer, so quit going.

Sorry to hear that Kingchip....I had an elmer...who was very gracious to me in teaching.

I don't like the clannishness of many hams. I have all my HF ham rigs modified to operate on the CB bands and often go back to the CB bands to say hello to people I know.

I don t care what other hams think of this ...I am not that clannish. I am more of a free agent and was so when I was on the CB bands.

I can be civil....but am often very private in nature...not clannish per se..but choosey about with whom I associate...it is my way and make no apologies for it. I am driving my bus....not anyone else.

Don't let that kind of thing discourage you.

I did not learn my material and information to take my tests from other hams per se....but purchased books and studied for myself.

What other hams /elmers did for me was to encourage me to continue taking the tests until I made Extra class..and also they gave me tips on how to fabricate my own antennas...which saved me a lot of monies.

Those are the kinds of valuable things experienced fellows can do for you. Same thing with the gun club to which I belong. Though time to go shooting is at a premium..I enjoy talking with the olde timers there and get lost of valuable tips on how to reload..and setting up a rifle or telescope.

Similar with experienced hams.

Footnote...you are correct about Morse Code type fellows...they can be very clannish or clickish....they want you to be able to keep up with them...in person and on the airways..they want you to be able to make the grade. Some of those fellows are greased lightening with a morse code key. Keep up or fall by the wayside.

There are a lot of Hams out there who cannot do morse code today...many these guys don't want anything to do with them as well.

Thanks
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Sorry to hear that Kingchip....I had an elmer...who was very gracious to me in teaching.

I don't like the clannishness of many hams. I have all my HF ham rigs modified to operate on the CB bands and often go back to the CB bands to say hello to people I know.

I don t care what other hams think of this ...I am not that clannish. I am more of a free agent and was so when I was on the CB bands.

I can be civil....but am often very private in nature...not clannish per se..but choosey about with whom I associate...it is my way and make no apologies for it. I am driving my bus....not anyone else.

Don't let that kind of thing discourage you.

I did not learn my material and information to take my tests from other hams per se....but purchased books and studied for myself.

What other hams /elmers did for me was to encourage me to continue taking the tests until I made Extra class..and also they gave me tips on how to fabricate my own antennas...which saved me a lot of monies.

Those are the kinds of valuable things experienced fellows can do for you. Same thing with the gun club to which I belong. Though time to go shooting is at a premium..I enjoy talking with the olde timers there and get lost of valuable tips on how to reload..and setting up a rifle or telescope.

Similar with experienced hams.

Footnote...you are correct about Morse Code type fellows...they can be very clannish or clickish....they want you to be able to keep up with them...in person and on the airways..they want you to be able to make the grade. Some of those fellows are greased lightening with a morse code key. Keep up or fall by the wayside.

There are a lot of Hams out there who cannot do morse code today...many these guys don't want anything to do with them as well.

Thanks
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    Yea, that's kinda what I got out of it all, also, except that now there are laptop interface programs where you basically type in your message and proofread it before sending in Morse code. Kinda cheating, IMO, but whatever. Radio drowned with my truck on the fateful flood day so don't have more than the Ht now, and it won't reach a repeater from my house.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields