Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bug out fallacy

Last Saturday afternoon my daughters and I were sitting on the back porch. It was a very nice afternoon, sunny, not too hot, not too cool, just very pleasant. I looked up and saw some contrails from airliners. Then, in the distance was a very wide contrail, kind of unusual looking. I watched for a couple of minutes, then went and got my binocs to get a little better view. It was flying directly over my house. When I viewed it through the binocs I just about dropped my teeth. At first glance it looked just like a TU-95 Bear Russian bomber! Long, slender fuselage, swept back wings and four engines...couldn't tell if they were jets or turbo props. After watching it a bit I couldn't really tell for sure. I don't think it was an airliner. I've never seen an airliner that looked anything like that bird did! I'm not sure it was a TU-95, but I sure as heck don't know what it was. I would estimate the altitude at approx. 30,000-35,000 feet. After thinking about it a bit I calmed down a bit, because if it HAD been a TU-95, how the blazes did it get into U.S. air space without being intercepted? It was really too high to tell exactly what it was with my binoculars, but at first look it sure appeared to have a sillouette very similar to a TU-95. Really got my adrenalin going for a few seconds.
    Last edited by beowulf; 04-29-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Last Saturday afternoon my daughters and I were sitting on the back porch. It was a very nice afternoon, sunny, not too hot, not too cool, just very pleasant. I looked up and saw some contrails from airliners. Then, in the distance was a very wide contrail, kind of unusual looking. I watched for a couple of minutes, then went and got my binocs to get a little better view. It was flying directly over my house. When I viewed it through the binocs I just about dropped my teeth. At first glance it looked just like a TU-95 Bear Russian bomber! Long, slender fuselage, swept back wings and four engines...couldn't tell if they were jets or turbo props. After watching it a bit I couldn't really tell for sure. I don't think it was an airliner. I've never seen an airliner that looked anything like that bird did! I'm not sure it was a TU-95, but I sure as heck don't know what it was. I would estimate the altitude at approx. 30,000-35,000 feet. After thinking about it a bit I calmed down a bit, because if it HAD been a TU-95, how the blazes did it get into U.S. air space without being intercepted? It was really too high to tell exactly what it was with my binoculars, but at first look it sure appeared to have a sillouette very similar to a TU-95. Really got my adrenalin going for a few seconds.
    Why a Russian spy plane is flying over
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian...ilitary-sites/

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Why a Russian spy plane is flying over
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russian...ilitary-sites/
    Francis Gary Powers is spinning in his grave ......

Hiwall posted what I was getting ready to. I wasn't aware any TU-95 were included, but no reason for them not to be included. I'm sure they have spy version of the bomber. That plane don't look much like anything else flying.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGunn View Post
    Francis Gary Powers is spinning in his grave ......
    Meh. The reason Powers was flying over the Soviet Union was their refusal to agree to Eisenhower's Open Skies proposal, where both sides got to fly surveillance over the other...
    Good medicine in bad places

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    . Coulda been a Lockheed Super Constellation, I can see how someone might mistake it for a Bear if it's at altitude, although super Connie is smaller, and there are only a few still flying. Breitling watch company operates one of the survivors.
    Last edited by ak474u; 05-01-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    . Coulda been a Lockheed Super Constellation, I can see how someone might mistake it for a Bear if it's at altitude, although super Connie is smaller, and there are only a few still flying. Breitling watch company operates one of the survivors.
    Nah, a super "connie" has recip engines, not jets, and a super constellation did not have swept back wings. This thing was much larger than a Super Constellation. I saw many of them during my years in the Air Force. I think the Air Force designation was a C-121 if memory serves me. And it wasn't a C-5A. I'm thoroughly familiar with them also. I don't recall anything I ever saw that looked like that bird I saw Saturday afternoon. And this thing had low wings, not high wings like a C-5A. I could tell that even at the altitude it was flying. I can't say for certain what it was, but it for sure wasn't a super "Connie" or C-5A.
    Last edited by beowulf; 05-01-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Beo the only other plane that comes to mi d would be a C 141. But it's a high wing plane as well and IIRC now out of service since the C 17s came on line in large numbers.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Beo the only other plane that comes to mi d would be a C 141. But it's a high wing plane as well and IIRC now out of service since the C 17s came on line in large numbers.
    It was neither of them. I spent a lot of time around C-141s., even flew some on them. I don't think they're even in AF inventory any longer, except for maybe some reserve units...and not sure about that. The C-17 replaced the 141. C-17s fly over my house all the time when the 82nd is jumping. The one I saw was way larger than either of them and the sillouette just wasn't right