Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spring gobbler

Oddly in my area deer and turkey are all over the place. I try and hunt coyotes and never see them. I hear them all the time. Get pics on my trail cams but never see them

We have lots of Turkey, deer, squirrel, dove and hog on our place and even more around us. Unless we NEED meat, we don't hunt them. We want them to propagate for future uncertainties. So many places hunt them out or they migrate to safer areas.

I throw out scratch for our free range chickens and we have a lot of everything that know our routine so they come here for free food.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Texas Parks and Wildlife back in about 86 or so came in and stocked some on next door ranch. First batch came from Brownwood and I think when they opened the release cages, they flew straight back. Second batch came off King Ranch and were much more tame. They could not hunt them for 5 years and they approached neighbors to help them establish and we did. By end of 5 years and feeding them I just lost interest. Spring seem to be pretty easy to call in and son hunts them with bow.

Smoked breast eats pretty good, but them Butterballs are much easier.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Texas Parks and Wildlife back in about 86 or so came in and stocked some on next door ranch. First batch came from Brownwood and I think when they opened the release cages, they flew straight back. Second batch came off King Ranch and were much more tame. They could not hunt them for 5 years and they approached neighbors to help them establish and we did. By end of 5 years and feeding them I just lost interest. Spring seem to be pretty easy to call in and son hunts them with bow.

Smoked breast eats pretty good, but them Butterballs are much easier.
    Wild turkey is drier than store - bought , but probably a lot healthier. I started canning my turkey breast and it is delicious when baked with stuffing . Or you can cook it in a crockpot and it is juicier.

My neighbor buddy scraped one up off the road and threw it on the BBQ. Said it was not very good, and he's a pretty good cook.....

Quote Originally Posted by borrego View Post
    My neighbor buddy scraped one up off the road and threw it on the BBQ. Said it was not very good, and he's a pretty good cook.....
    wild turkey is very good if you know how to fix it. As I said earlier, it is drier than the steroid birds you buy in the store, but there are ways to fix it so it is not dry, and I think the flavor is much better than store bought. If he had to " scrape " it up, he probably should have composted it , HAHA .