Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spring gobbler

Default spring gobbler

Anyone else on here hunt spring gobblers ? I went this morning and didn't hear a single gobble. Gonna try again tomorrow morning if the storms aren't too bad.

Got tons of em on my property. 5 were in my driveway yesterday when I came home from work... One is very friendly and befriended my chickens ... Actually hangs out at the coop fence with them. Same one came up to me when I was walking the dog. Just looked at me. The dog started barking and it waddled off quickly

Saw a nice Tom at work couple days ago. He had the tail all spread out.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Got tons of em on my property. 5 were in my driveway yesterday when I came home from work... One is very friendly and befriended my chickens ... Actually hangs out at the coop fence with them. Same one came up to me when I was walking the dog. Just looked at me. The dog started barking and it waddled off quickly
    Bet they're just "turkeying" around, going about the business of being turkeys, eh?

Never had an interest........ I hear they are harder to hunt than deer.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Need help ? I'll split the meat with you .

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Never had an interest........ I hear they are harder to hunt than deer.

Harder to hunt , but a hell of a lot easier to drag out.

Turkeys......nothing more beautiful than watching a Tom all fluffed out and "strutting his stuff" for the ladies......then there is the funniest....a Tom mounting a plastic hen decoy "tryin' to marry her".......a line from Lonesome Dove.
    After seeing these awesome birds and their antics in nature I just can't harvest one........that is until its a matter of survival.

We have local turkeys too.....I always underestimated them. When they cross the little 2 lane road that runs past our place, the males face uphill and spread their feathers out and block traffic, they will not move even if it means getting hit.......the ladies all cross and then the boys put their feathers back down and follow. And they said chivalry was dead! No one dares shoot them around here, they would be shot themselves by the locals.....

The is a flock of 25 when I live. I see them in the morning and night. Keeping tabs on them just in case I need to hunt them.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge