Thread: cloning fruit trees

Default cloning fruit trees

Anyone ever try this ? I'm gonna give it try , hope it works with apple trees. Got some old -timey apples I want to clone before they die. I tried those bulbs with potting soil on the limbs and had no luck at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4U5ZI3d6kg

You can graft them onto a new tree...
    Live Free or Die

Cammie has a detailed process! It's on here somewhere....
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I need to find Cammi's process.

Just ordered a book on how to propagate plants. Wanting to do some of my blueberries and pawpaws.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

not interested in grafting. Wanting to grow apple trees from old variety trees in my area that are resistant to cedar blight. Most newer apple varieties won't grow here because of all the cedar trees.

she uses cuttings and wraps them in moist paper causing them to root. She has a very specific detailed process though.

Here's Cammi's post

I cut mature branches when I prune. I cut the mature branches at least 3" from a well formed knuckle and try to get at least two knuckle in each. I never get 100% rooting from these cuttings (close to maybe 75 to 80%) so I make sure I have plenty to compensate for the ones that don't root out.

I let the cuttings harden for about a week it a cool dark place where open air can circulate around them. While I'm curing the cuttings, I soak black and white news paper in water mixed with strive root stimulator and place the news paper in a big plastic bag.

After about a week of curing the cuttings, I pull out several layers of the news paper and wrap a couple cutting together at a time. After I get all the cuttings wrapped, I put them all back in the big plastic bag, spray inside the bag with a mix of the same root stimulator mixed in water. I close the bag except for a small area so air can get in.

I place the big plastic bag with the wrapped cutting in a paper bag and let them store through the winter, pulling them out about every week to 8 days to make sure the paper in the plastic bag stays moist but not soaked.

By late Winter, very early Spring, I pull them out and check for strong root cuttings. I take those cuttings with the strongest roots and place 1 cutting in wine bottle paper bags and fill them with some good starter soil and tie them closed except for about 5" of the bare cutting. I put them all standing upright in a metal bucket with water in the bottom to wick up through the starter soil and it keeps the paper bag damp.

The metal bucket with all my starters go outside in my work station so the soil can acclimate to the outside temps. Once I start seeing buds form, I expose them to the natural light outside a few hours a day. After about two weeks, they go out into the greenhouse in pots.

Once I see at least 3 fully developed leaves, they are transplanted into their permanent home in the ground.
    Live Free or Die

Thanks!

Thanks for reposting that Wildcat. I copied and saved it for future use.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

if you are under the gun, meaning the old trees are dying, you can graft branches to a hardy root stock. Then at your lesure air layer the new growth to do your final propagation.
    We learn from history that we do not learn from history. Georg Wilhelm F. Hegel