Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: favorite song ?

If I started listing all the ones I really like we'd be here all night. Back when my hearing was a lot better I enjoyed nothing more than playing my guitar and singing...Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Johnny Horton, Tom T. Hall, Alan Jackson, George Jones, Stonewall Jackson...oh, heck!...you get the idea. But one of my all time favorites is relatively new, Long Black Train by Josh Turner. I still pick and sing a bit, but not nearly like I used to. I have some difficulty hearing the chords. I wish I could hear better. I really miss my music. Toward the end of my Senior year in high school my Choir director told me I had won a full four year scholarship in music to Georgia Southern University. A couple days later he told me they had further checked my academic records and found I have a half credit too many to qualify for the scholarship. Truth was...politics. Even back in 1964 it was sometimes WHO you were and who your parents were that mattered more than talent. That hurt, and I ended up enlisting in the Air Force. Didn't do too badly, though. Retired as a Master Sergeant after 23 years active duty. Still, I miss being able to make music like I could when I could hear a lot better.

Mine is 'TEXAS' by Chris Rae! OMG what an awesome song! The good ones always die too soon.. 😢
    Remember what Einstein said:
    “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

I like traditional 'Honktonk', like Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, George Jones Etc.....
    There are some good newer guys like Dale Watson and Dwight Yoakam

And for some reason I never listened much to Gretchen Wilson, but got turned on to her a while ago, nice to hear a female doing songs like this...:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EouX...&start_radio=1

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8__5tE9uOo

No, I'm not Mormon (I don't judge you if you are), I will not accept challenges to my faith. This song just makes hairs stand up on my body and put me into praying mode every time. Thanks for listening to it and paying attention to its message.

Don’t Worry Bout Me. Marty Robbins
    Last edited by silvergramma; 04-10-2019 at 10:52 PM.

"Forever is as far as I'll go". Alabama. One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I used to sing it for Sandy. Also Alan Jackson's "I'd do it all over again".
    Last edited by beowulf; 04-10-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Well, I would say that Kansas' "DUST IN THE WIND" is, but there are a lot of songs of different genres I like. I might change my mind tomorrow.

Well,

My preferences in music constantly evolves with each passing day....Growing up, I was exposed to "classic" country and western on the AM radio by my mom but by my mid-teens I had decided I didn't like C&W. I was more interested the music of my friends and older brothers. Now, you might find my radio on either classic C&W or modern rock. Even though I now enjoy many (but not all) different genres of music this song will always be my favorite... Gilmour gets with it around 6:40.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_MXLI5hyEc

"Jekyll and Hyde" by Five Finger Death Punch(warning for language if you look it up)

"A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Jr

Anything from Madison Rising
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime