Thread: Damn birds!!!

Default Damn birds!!!

I planted two 3 year old Bartlet pear trees in Feb. The trees flowered very well and put on an abundant amount of fruit. The pears got to about the size of a dime or bigger and a migration of Robins came through this week and stripped both trees of the fruit sets! I'm so pissed I didn't get the netting on in time.
    I have other pear trees that have sets on them and they were netted, but I really wanted to get some Bartlets this year for spiced pear preserves. That's the main reason I bought mature trees and not saplings. Grrrrrr!

The really sad part is, they didn't even eat the fruit sets. They just bit them off and let them fall to the ground. What a waste! I had to chase them off with an air cannon. By the time I was able to get the net on these two trees, I had 5 pear sets left! Dbl GRRRRR! Just enough left for a fruit salad.....
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Should have used a shotgun rather than an air cannon. Robins are pretty good eating. HEH, heh I happen to have a few in the freezer now.

Dude, there were thousands of them. I wouldn't have even made a dent and I won't eat Robins unless I'm hungry. Dove, yes, Robins, no, not yet. LOL
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Dude, there were thousands of them. I wouldn't have even made a dent and I won't eat Robins unless I'm hungry. Dove, yes, Robins, no, not yet. LOL
    (Chuckle) At least you leave the option open...just in case.

Birds have never bothered my pears. They've gotten to the peaches before, I guess my pears don't taste good.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

They didn't touch my peaches but I know they are good! Georgia Peaches.. Yummy sweet.
    Well, in lieu of this thievery, all fruit trees are now secure with netting. Even my pomegranate and olive trees. I'm really surprised we don't have issues with Grackles because everyone else does.

I gave up on my pine nut barring trees. Squirrels chew right through the netting. They leave me enough for maybe a half quart of nuts every year and I get to stuff a spot in the freezer with squirrel meat. Good trade off!

Never had problems with my pears, but the robins, jays, grackles, and everything else eat the crap out of my cherries. The trees are so big and so many I couldn't possibly put netting over them, would have to drop it from an airplane. And the devils pull up my corn as soon as it sprouts ! I have to put chicken wire over my corn until it gets about 6 inches tall.

I'm not adverse to eating anything that won't eat me first, or at least try it, but I do draw the line as to WHEN that times comes to be adventurous... Like starvation! I don't think I'll ever get to that point though. I've got skills! 🤓

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    (Chuckle) At least you leave the option open...just in case.

Yeah, I had to replant after the birds came through at the first of Spring. They ate almost all my sprouts that weren't' covered during the first migration run, but the new seeds have all emerged and doing well. The birds seem to be more interested in my fruit trees now.

Once my tomatoes start ripening, I'll have to protect them from the Cardinals. We have tons of those year round, as well as Painted Buntings, Scissor Tails, Finch, Mockingbirds and Sparrows. They all seem to enjoy what I grow! I'm just glad I don't have to deal with the Jay species....

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Never had problems with my pears, but the robins, jays, grackles, and everything else eat the crap out of my cherries. The trees are so big and so many I couldn't possibly put netting over them, would have to drop it from an airplane. And the devils pull up my corn as soon as it sprouts ! I have to put chicken wire over my corn until it gets about 6 inches tall.