Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Someone Actually DOES Something About EMP

Default Finally Someone Actually DOES Something About EMP

Just like everyone talked for decades about "bring the troops home".

Just like everyone talked for decades about the "border crisis".

And just like everyone gave lip service to EMP preparedness... but in all these cases, did nothing...

FINALLY

Someone actually does something -

Executive Order on Coordinating National Resilience to Electromagnetic Pulses
    https://publicpool.kinja.com/subject...mpression=true

An electromagnetic pulse (EMP) has the potential to disrupt, degrade, and damage technology and critical infrastructure systems. Human-made or naturally occurring EMPs can affect large geographic areas, disrupting elements critical to the Nation's security and economic prosperity, and could adversely affect global commerce and stability. The Federal Government must foster sustainable, efficient, and cost-effective approaches to improving the Nation's resilience to the effects of EMPs.

The Secretary of Energy shall conduct early-stage R&D, develop pilot programs, and partner with other agencies and the private sector, as appropriate, to characterize sources of EMPs and their couplings to the electric power grid and its subcomponents, understand associated potential failure modes for the energy sector, and coordinate preparedness and mitigation measures with energy sector partners.

The heads of all SSAs, in coordination with the Secretary of Homeland Security, shall enhance and facilitate information sharing with private-sector counterparts, as appropriate, to enhance preparedness for the effects of EMPs, to identify and share vulnerabilities, and to work collaboratively to reduce vulnerabilities.

Within 90 days of the date of this order, the Secretary of Homeland Security, in coordination with the heads of SSAs and other agencies as appropriate, shall identify and list the national critical functions and associated priority critical infrastructure systems, networks, and assets, including space-based assets that, if disrupted, could reasonably result in catastrophic national or regional effects on public health or safety, economic security, or national security. The Secretary of Homeland Security shall update this list as necessary.

Within 180 days of identifying the gaps in existing test data, as directed by subsection (b)(i) of this section, the Secretary of Homeland Security, in coordination with the heads of SSAs and in consultation with the Director of OSTP and the heads of other appropriate agencies, shall use the sector partnership structure identified in the National Infrastructure Protection Plan to develop an integrated cross-sector plan to address the identified gaps.

The heads of agencies identified in the plan shall implement the plan in collaboration with the private sector, as appropriate.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I'm gonna read deeper into this. But just on the surface this is probably the best thing that could take place. It's many years late in happening, but hopefully not too late to be of benefit to the US. I really hope this goes deep and is able to identify and fix the vulnerabilities we have.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

GOD bless prez Trump

who looks beyond today's problems.

It's only a study. One or two have been done on the past. All they can do is make recommendations at the end of the study. They can present their results to Congress and Congress could pass a bill and allot funds for any infrastructure improvements. Or pass a bill that demands all energy companies make the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    It's only a study. One or two have been done on the past. All they can do is make recommendations at the end of the study. They can present their results to Congress and Congress could pass a bill and allot funds for any infrastructure improvements. Or pass a bill that demands all energy companies make the changes.
    I was wondering that at first... Yes there's a lot in there about making recommendations, making plans, double-checking the plans...

Of course before you start to do something, you have to make sure you are doing the RIGHT thing, and not just SOME-thing, even if it's wrong. Otherwise you waste big dollars on little actual threats, while miserly scrimping on a FEW dollars, for something that could be a legit MAJOR threat.

Notice at the end though... after all the studies, recommendations and plans :

The heads of agencies identified in the plan shall implement the plan in collaboration with the private sector, as appropriate.
    The plan doesn't just get shoved in a dark drawer somewhere, never to see the light of day again.

This EO says they have to actually put the plan into effect. They have to take all their studies and recommendations and assessments and plans, and sit down with the folks that actually OWN that infrastructure, and say "Ok, listen bub... these transformers, yeah they've got to be upgraded... Let's make it happen... what, you're short on electrical engineers? We got some TERRIFIC Army corp of Engineers boys who'd love to roll up their sleeves and help you with that. What, you're short on steel for casings? Turns out we can get you a sweet deal on sheet steel from the new steel plant that just opened in Pittsburgh, thanks to the Maestro. See, they get a sweet tax break for steel sold for national defense purposes. Copper? Aw heck yeah, we just cleared a mine to open that the EPA shut down in Nevada, they got all the copper you need, put some miner's back to work... Excuses? You're talking to Homeland Security here mister... This is about national security... And if the grid goes down, where are you gonna be then? Your name'll be Mud! Or you can take our help, and this grand opportunity, and make things right, and be a bit of a hero in your own way... think about it..."

Putting the plan into action, real world. It's in there. That's the difference between the Trump administration and the Obama administration. The O admin liked to talk about security while everything they did actually undermined it. Trump seems to be here to GET 'ER DONE. Promises made, promises kept. It's happening.
    Last edited by bruss01; 03-27-2019 at 12:36 AM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Good points Bruss. Not only long term security upgrade, but short term gains in the e economy as well. Stuff like this is exactly where the Gov should be spending tax dollars. Not on how to screw the people over even more.
    Anyone notice there is almost no info on MSM about this EO?
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

This EO says they have to actually put the plan into effect.
    That is fine but anything the government does that costs any money has to go through Congress.
    And I don't know how they could demand electric companies to make expensive changes. If so it would be immediately contested in the courts. Also many electric companies that are on the edge now would just declare bankruptcy.
    Also I see the timeline is 180 days "to develop an integrated cross-sector plan to address the identified gaps". So they have a half year to come up with a plan. Government studies have a very poor track record. I hope your enthusiasm is warranted in this case.

I think it's a great 1st Step - there's FED agencies that have no frigging idea how vulnerable they are - I bet there's agencies like the Forest Service that loses total communications if an EMP hits ...

I would have liked more emphasis added for CMEs - it's in there but dumped along with EMPs ....

As I have learned with further study, the EMP threat is less of a threat than I originally thought. Tests and studies conducted even in the past few years simulating Strong EMPs on modern electronics have not been as catostrophic as many have thought.

Our largest EMP threat is a more a Carrington--type event, and less a human launches EMP.

I hope this study confirms this, and we focus on hardening key infrastructure against this threat.
    Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men.

I wish they could harden our grid against hackers. That is the most likely threat I think.