Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: it's hitting the fan

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Flock, that's where I get some of my corn but we also have a producers co-op where the corn is grown locally. That saves a ton of money and I like buying local for grinding my cornmeal/corn flour for making cornbread.

I have never stepped foot in there but I drive past it quit often. The next time I’m over there I need to make it a point to go inside.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Really? You've lived here all this time and never gone to the co-op? It's an awesome place for just about anything you would want. Food, animal feed, plants, seeds, both pkged and organic loose seeds, gardens supplies, tack, livestock meds, tools and implements, and so on..You can buy in bulk or singles.
    They also sell some meats. Both wild games and domestic. I love the home smoked and cured slab bacon. Bison, pork and deer sausage. Seasonally they have dove and quail.

They process all their own grains from local farms. You can pre-order your own mixed feed grain if you choose.
    If you have 5 acres or more, you can become a member and of course tax exempt and you collect reward points for end of year purchases. I've been a member since 1994 and have saved tons of money.

Also, have you been to Redfield meat market on Texas Ave? That place is a 'must go to' as well! Oh my gosh that place is fantastic! I refuse to buy our meat from the grocery stores. I go to Redfield about once every 3 or 4 months to stock our meat locker for the season. Can't beat the quality and service!
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 05-07-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

looks like China might be foreced to buy some pork from us irregardless or the trade war.

"China is killing a third of its pigs because of a gruesome and incurable fever, which could drive up the price of pork around the world"
    https://www.businessinsider.com/chin...to-rise-2019-5

a few updates
    bottom line is that things have only gotten worse and now more people are noticing
    all these articles are only a few days old, so contemporaneous view of the situation.

title - "Do We Face a Global Food Disaster?

Money Quote:
    According to the latest May 20 report of the National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) of the US Department of Agriculture, corn and soybean crops are well behind the planting growth levels normal this time of the planting season. They report that only 49% of all planned corn acreage in the US has been planted compared with 78% at this time a year ago. Of that only 19% has yet emerged from the ground compared to 47% in May 2018. In terms of soybeans, barely 19% of crops have yet been planted compared with 53% a year before. Rice acreage planted is down to 73% compared to 92% a year ago in the six US rice-growing states. Of course, should weather dramatically improve the final harvest numbers could improve. It is simply too early to predict.
    https://journal-neo.org/2019/05/31/d...food-disaster/

title -
    The Wettest, Wildest Planting Season U.S. Farmers Can Remember
    money quote:
    There has never been a spring planting season like this one. Rivers topped their banks. Levees were breached. Fields filled with water and mud. And it kept raining.
    “You hear words like biblical, unprecedented,” said Sherman Newlin, a corn and soybean farmer in Illinois. “That’s all true.”
    There has never been weather like this, either. The 12 months that ended with April were the wettest ever for the contiguous U.S. That spurred other firsts: Corn plantings are further behind schedule for this time of year than they have been in records dating to 1980 and analysts are predicting an unheard-of 6 million acres intended for the grain may simply go unsown this year.

“Every farmer that I talk to says, ‘I’ve never seen anything like this in my life,’ and these are not 20-year-olds,” said Tom Sleight, CEO of the U.S. Grains Council, a trade group.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-can-remember

title Because of historic rains, less than half the normal amount of corn has been planted in Illinois. The next weeks are make or break for farmers.
    money quote:
    The drive through rural Illinois is bleak these days.

Following an unseasonably wet spring, some farm fields that would normally be filled with burgeoning corn stalks and soybean plants are holding so much water they could pass for ponds. Even those without standing water are barren mud pits because the ground is too saturated to plant. Farmers who managed to find a window to plant their seeds are now seeing the crops’ growth stunted by heavy rainfall.

Illinois, the nation’s second-largest producer of corn, is off to the slowest start to a planting season on record, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. As of June 2, Illinois farmers have only been able to sow corn seed in 45% of the acreage dedicated to the crop, 53% below the five-year average. Of the seeds that have been laid, only 32% have emerged, a 59% decline compared with the past five years.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...606-story.html

title Because of historic rains, less than half the normal amount of corn has been planted in Illinois. The next weeks are make or break for farmers.
    money quote:
    The drive through rural Illinois is bleak these days.

HUGE planting strides made in the last week or so - the farmers have absolutely every soil turner out there knocking down weeds and busting the heavy crust >>>> most are planting until they drop - have more rain starting this AM and chances for more thru the weekend ...

96% of the corn crop is planted now.
    There is no "crisis" aside from the personal crisis of some individual farmers.

The farmers were using crop dusters to plant seeds because the farm machinery would have sunk and bogged the fields. I don't know about 96%, Canadian farmers have given up, they still had snowfall over their initial plantings in June.

As survivalists, I think we should modestly prepare for unforeseen and possible disruptions of our civilization and infrastructure.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

Quote Originally Posted by VoorTrekker View Post
    The farmers were using crop dusters to plant seeds because the farm machinery would have sunk and bogged the fields. I don't know about 96%, Canadian farmers have given up, they still had snowfall over their initial plantings in June.

As survivalists, I think we should modestly prepare for unforeseen and possible disruptions of our civilization and infrastructure.
    I would replace the word " modestly " with " Earnestly "

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

It will be a good trial run for what might happen after 2024 election.