Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment..put out three foot traps today..

Default Equipment..put out three foot traps today..

Been getting more and more raccoons and possums coming up to the deck and eating the dried and canned cat food I put out there.

Also been procrastinating on this but finally put out my three foot traps out behind the garage where I believe the possums and raccoons enter and exit..near the fence line.

Will check them in the middle of the night and see if I got any takers.

Plan to put them down with a .22 short from my Rossi pump rifles. .22 shorts do not make much noise used in this manner. Not much more than a pellet rifle.

Had them thinned out significantly some two years back but I believe a new group has moved into the vacant territory.

Will try to keep the board informed...

Oh..here is the type of trap I am using baited with a marshmallow.

https://www.amazon.com/Powder-Coated...gateway&sr=8-3

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Mean Ol' Tom, poor coons gotta eat too.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Mean Ol' Tom, poor coons gotta eat too.
    Well, now, flock6, my guess is that if you'd be willin' to drive some and meet him halfway, Ol' Tom would be happy to deliver all the live 3-legged possums and coons he catches. :^)

Ha, as much as I would enjoy meeting Orangetom it is illegal to transport possums across state lines. I'd hate for him to get busted.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Ha, as much as I would enjoy meeting Orangetom it is illegal to transport possums across state lines. I'd hate for him to get busted.

I did not know this for some time...Raccoons too as they are carriers of rabies....it is illegal to transport them even out of town..

Hence it is legal to put them down here.

Just now checked my traps....no joy!!

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Caught one Raccoon This morning..

Will reset trap...

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    I did not know this for some time...Raccoons too as they are carriers of rabies....it is illegal to transport them even out of town..

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Noooo! Tell me it ain't true! You mean, another hero of American Folklore, Mr Crockett, was nothin' but a scofflaw 'cause he left Tennessee wearin' his coonskin cap? Quick, tear down all his statues! Airbrush his likeness from all them-there Disney movies.
    /S/
    OT, glad you got the first one.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

yep - same here >>>> but then you got a disposal problem - you might get away putting one to the curb and calling for a pickup - but I've hauled off entire raccoon & opossum families during a spring/summer - not real crazy about bagging them and going the weekly garbage route - just humane trapping is iffy enough ...
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 03-24-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    yep - same here >>>> but then you got a disposal problem - you might get away putting one to the curb and calling for a pickup - but I've hauled off entire raccoon & opossum families during a spring/summer - not real crazy about bagging them and going the weekly garbage route - just humane trapping is iffy enough ...

Here is how I do it Illini Warrior.

At work in handling nuclear contaminated materials...we have a technique called "the inverted bag technique." In this method we take a large heavy duty yard bag...from Lowes or Home depot..and turn it inside out somewhat. We take our hand through the backside...and grab the raccoon by the limb and drag him into the inverted bag...and thus the raccoon goes into the bag naturally by the process....tucking the bag around the body. These are the thicker yard type bags.

Then I tie the bag off ...or roll it spiral..with the excess and make a knot. If done correctly..you never touch the animal.

I put it in the basket on my scooter or in the back of my car/truck.

Then I take it to some apartment dumpsters down the road from me. These dumpsters is also where I take my trash bags from my trash units....when I forget to put it to the curb on trash day.

Here is something most of us do not know or are seldom told about plastic trash bags.....

Many of them are numbered on the individual bags..you would hardly notice it. If you engage in nefarious activity using one of these bags...and it is tied into your credit/debit card...or check.....you have a trail back to your address. Best to use cash when buying plastic bags and do not use a rewards card...this too is tied into your home address...leaving a paper trail to your door.

Free...no cover charge.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Here is how I do it Illini Warrior.

At work in handling nuclear contaminated materials...we have a technique called "the inverted bag technique." In this method we take a large heavy duty yard bag...from Lowes or Home depot..and turn it inside out somewhat. We take our hand through the backside...and grab the raccoon by the limb and drag him into the inverted bag...and thus the raccoon goes into the bag naturally by the process....tucking the bag around the body. These are the thicker yard type bags.

Then I tie the bag off ...or roll it spiral..with the excess and make a knot. If done correctly..you never touch the animal.

I put it in the basket on my scooter or in the back of my car/truck.

Then I take it to some apartment dumpsters down the road from me. These dumpsters is also where I take my trash bags from my trash units....when I forget to put it to the curb on trash day.

Here is something most of us do not know or are seldom told about plastic trash bags.....

Many of them are numbered on the individual bags..you would hardly notice it. If you engage in nefarious activity using one of these bags...and it is tied into your credit/debit card...or check.....you have a trail back to your address. Best to use cash when buying plastic bags and do not use a rewards card...this too is tied into your home address...leaving a paper trail to your door.

Free...no cover charge.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

You are a crafty genius OT ! I salute you.