Thread: Portable "Field Antenna"

Default Portable "Field Antenna"

I am fairly new to radios but I currently own a Yaesu VX-8DR as a handheld and a Yaesu FTM-10R that I am using in the house with the possibility of moving it to my vehicle at a later date. I would like to construct a portable "wire antenna" for use in the field and/or while at my lake property. Does anyone have a link or video as to how I would go about this specifically or does anyone know where I could purchase a "pre-done" antenna to improve reception?

Search Orangetom's posts, he's the guy.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I'll try and find a couple of links. But right off for 2 meters, or 70 or 23 cm a Jpole works very well and is easy to make yourself from a twin lead wire that rolls up easily and will fit in a small bag. You can use them inside or out. Very versitale
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Gsxrgrizz,

For 2 meters and 70 CM/440 MHZ is use a dual band j-pole antenna made two different ways..

here from these plans...

https://kc7hxc.us/links/radio/jpole/build-jpole.html

The antenna in the diagram or sketch to the right is the dual band antenna...2 meters/440 mhz.

The antenna to the left is the 220 MHZ model.

My materials I got from a local True Value hardware store....mostly 3/8 solid aluminum rod...coming in some 96 inch lengths or so...and aluminum angle bar. The connectors for the coaxial cable comes from a radio shop..a CB shop...for the trucker type antennas.

I use the Dual band version on my base station fed by LMR 400 coaxial cable....up about 60 feet in a tree...it works well locally....from MY ICOM 706 MK II G hf/UHF/VHF radio.

I also have adapters whereby I can hook up my Baofeng walkie talkies to this J pole antenna as well.

There are plans also to make a single band or dual band J pole antenna out of that Flat FM 300 ohm television cable or even Ladder line at 450 ohms. I have made J pole antennas out of both 300 Ohm flat antenna wire and also out of the 450 ohm Ladder line...single as well as dual band.

The 300 ohm tv type flat wire antenna material makes for a good portable antenna which can be put in the back of our vehicle and transported...or used as an emergency antenna. I have one of these roll ups in the back of my truck for just such emergencies.

You toss a thin rope line up over a tree limb and hoist it up and plug it into your walkie talkie or the radio in your vehicle.

I'll tell you guys something else ...in case no one told you ...I have used a power supply and run my CB radios from an apartment out to my car antenna using a long piece of coaxial cable and gotten out in this manner in an emergency condition. I have done the same with my HF radios ...running from a AC to DC powersupply and ran a cable out to my truck antenna to be able to operate from shelter.

But I also know how to run a temporary long wire dipole antenna to operate out in the field...using my truck and the battery in my truck.

Once you learn this kind of thing you become more flexible and adaptable as to how to work it out in good or even emergency conditions.

Last summer from the cabin we rented at the seashore...I hooked up a G5RV dipole antenna from up in a tree....to the fence post on the other end to function as a sloper..antenna....and talked to my friend out in Tennessee....some 400 miles away ....several times in the evenings that week we stayed there....and used 75 meters at about 100 watts.

I do the same here from the house base station using my 500 foot wire loop antenna....and regularly. Hope to catch him again tonight on 75 meters. It is one of the ways we can keep in touch should the phones go down...for whatever reason....remember we are preppers.

I like not being tied to a cell phone or land line.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishamelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-23-2019 at 04:30 PM.

I have one of these and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by footballboy3 View Post
    I have one of these and it works well.
    yeah...I made one out of ladder line..dual band....just to see if I could do it....and it works.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

Ladder line works great as a roll up antenna to keep in a GHB along with some 550 cord to pull up on a tree limb to get a little better gain for a HT while out walking.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Yed indeed...my long range HF antenna is a 500 foot roll of black insulated 12 gauge wire from Lowes set up as a loop antenna. It is fed with Ladder Line...and works well from the AM Broadcasting band to 6 meters with my tuner. I keep a spare roll of this 12 gauge black insulated wire in my garage should it be needed for repairs or replacement

Part of the 80 through 10 meter G5RV antennas is ladder line as well.

Current plans are to go up on my roof and raise my feed point on this long range ladder fed antenna up about 20 feet higher in the air.

But yes...ladder line, properly done, can become an antenna itself....even coaxial cable can be so configured into an antenna if one does it properly.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 04-01-2019 at 03:21 AM.