Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Garden has broke ground!

!!!!! Roflmao!!!!!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
    No gardening yet, snow on Sunday, and highs in the teens until Thursday of next week.
    We had snow today. 2 degrees and -19 wind chills tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by 101airborne View Post
    We had snow today. 2 degrees and -19 wind chills tonight.
    Welcome to the site 101airborne !!! Snow here too, still coming down , big flakes.

Looks like we're gonna get some light freeze. We went out to the gardens this afternoon and covered all the beds we've seeded and those that have germinated just to be safe. Most of the sprouted have milk jugs over them. We just put lids on them to close the up until this cold front moves out which will be Wed. After that, forecast predicts 70's during the days and 50's for the lows.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

It looks like our big freeze is finally over. We had two days of a hard freeze but I got all my seedling covered before it hit. I checked on them this morning and everything survived under the 6ml plastic so this afternoon, I'm going to uncover everything. Just seeded some collards this morning in seed blocks instead of directly into the ground. I planted 60 blocks. I also planted 40 more zucchini seed blocks to transplant after they sprout. I still have some clean up in a couple of the gardens but it was just too cold to get out there and work this past week.

Today I'm going to start cleaning out the store and rotating some goods for the new crops. This winter I neglected it a bit with being sick a couple times and then surgery. I kind of fell behind on my duties. Shouldn't take more than 2 or three days to get everything back in order and get all my jars cleaned up, sterilized and read to be filled again.

I've also started another compost bin. This one is in 4 parts with each chamber measuring 6'x6'. I'm doing this because we are not having mushroom compost brought in this year or next year. Since we have had a total of 30 dump truck loads brought in over the years, I think it's time to slow that delivery down to maybe every three years. We have plenty and with the home made compost, we won't need it as often. Our soil is in good shape.

I sure wish I could commit the way you do. Way To Go!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

If you want to eat well and healthy and cut your expenses greatly, this is the only way to go. There are days I just don't feel like it, but once I get out there, it's Katy bar the door. Fresh air does that to me!

A few years back, I put pen to paper just to see if I was making a justifiable financial difference and I was really surprised! As my gardens grew larger from expansion, the financial difference helped us to pay off outstanding loans and increase our nest egg. Then the big boom from the Obama era happened with the ACA and it ate up a lot of that. Then hubs company he worked for closed it's door and that was when we realized, without our gardens, we would have been in real trouble.

Once Trump eliminated the mandatory and we were able to get back on our own choice of insurance, we quickly got back to where we were before, and life is good. Hubs was back to work with another company doing the same thing and I was able to break ground for another garden and we bought a new PU truck taboot!

All I can say is, do the math. Committing to sustain is well worth it and can save you and your family and even help your closest allies.

Been so wet and cold here I haven't even had a chance to break ground yet. If I can get it in by the middle of May it should do well. We have a decent growing season here. Doesn't start getting cold until October or early November. I still had tomatoes growing in early December a few years ago.

currently harvesting cuttings from 30 lettuce and kale plants from the hydroponics in the greenhouse.

we have had an extremely wet spring so having raised beds and using transplants really helps this year, otherwise direct planted seeds would just rot.

I transplanted a few things from the greenhouse into the garden over the last few days, more today and tomorrow
    got a few dozen lettuce in the ground and maybe 30 Kale of different varieties
    along with a dozen of my favorite green - perpetual spinach aka perpetual chard - texture between chard & spinach, doesn't bolt in hot weather, stands temps mid 20's. I HIGHLY recommend that green.
    then mixed in among those about 100 onion sets - they make great companions for leafy greens.

tonight we get 24F, so will be using low tunnel over the two rows already planted, hard frost again tomorrow, so the covers will stay on few more days.

got about 500 linear feet of 30" wide raised beds all prepped and waiting on transplants from the greenhouse
    500 or so already planted in soil blocks that are just poking out, should be ready to go into the garden next week or two.

prepping more soil blocks starting today for the frost sensitive plants which will get planted into soil blocks over the next week or two.
    bush and pole beans, summer squash, winter squash, cucumber, okra, amaranth, herbs, etc etc etc
    our last frost is generally no later than April 15 (Zone 6b) so those we are starting now will have had time to germinate and get a few inches tall by then.

max capacity of my greenhouse is 3,000 plants at anyone time, so this rotating out into the garden to make room for more works well for me.
    I pretty much use the green house thru the summer with succession planting.
    I direct seed very little except things like parsnips & carrots and the like, generally start everything else in the greenhouse for their first month, then into the garden

Sounds like you're ROCKIN it! Good job!