Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Garden has broke ground!

Default 2019 Garden has broke ground!

I've got green beans, spinach, carrots, corn, pumpkin,tomatoes, winter squash, radish, okra, asparagus, celery, cabbage, garlic, some herbs, chamomile and onions all germinated and broken the surface in the garden. Melons, butternut squash, zucchini and potatoes are still under, but I am expecting to see sprouting within the next 5 to 7 days. All my fruit trees are bubbling and some have blooms on them.

On a side note, lots of wild flowers around and my bees are foraging like crazy! I haven't cracked open the hives yet but I expect to see an abundant of new brood when I inspect them on the next warm sunny day with minimal breeze. Probably mid March (2weeks). It was 71* today but drizzling off and on and overcast. They don't like being messed with on those kind of days, so I wait.

I sure am glad Spring is here but I'm certain we will get a minor cold front before Spring settles in to stay. We always do!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

My plums are in full bloom, and the freezing weather is probably not over yet. 37* tonight.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Ouch! 37*. I feel your pain! We've had the doors and windows open all week. Upper 50's to low 70's. It almost got up to 80 I think it was Sunday.. I actually broke a sweat. LOL
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

No gardening yet, snow on Sunday, and highs in the teens until Thursday of next week.

We're still a good month before we even mess with the ground.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

having a beginning of the week artic blast - down to 1 degree like Tuesday nite >>>> climbing back up after that - should be getting regular 40s with those occasional 60-70s ....

that's if the spring goes regular and it's not going to be a bugger this year ....

I got my first order of onions Monday. Plan to plant them and some other cold weather crops mid March. That is assuming the rain s break and ground dries out a little. Placed a couple of seed orders over the weekend as well. They are mostly for stock as I have a boatload of seed on hand and typically save seed from stuff every year.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Sounds nice Cammie! We are planning on starting a good sized garden soon on the side of our property. May not be this season, but next for sure......

Cammie is waay south of most of us.
    on the verge of zone 7a / 6b here.
    my usual last frost date is April 5, got some low teens coming next week.

but I do have my greenhouse going with about 300 early plants started (kales, kohlrabi, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc)
    planting another 500 today.

those can go out after the hard frosts of next week using my low tunnels I can keep those alive in mid 20's lows.

two weeks from now we will plant the bulk of the summer plants which will grow out first month or so in the greenhouse before transplanting after all danger of frost has passed.

I can hold about 3,000 plants in my greenhouse.
    I use soil 2" cube soil blocks - works great.

I finally broke down and bought a soil blocker to make my own starter blocks. Should have done this a long time ago! Well worth the small investment! For years I've been making my starter blocks using an empty toilet paper roll and news paper. Then I graduated to a large dowel rod to get the same results. I was one at a timing it. I have no idea why I wouldn't just go ahead and buy the damn thing but I finally did. Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it much much sooner to save time and get more.
    I bought this one.. https://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-su...SABEgLbDPD_BwE