Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Garden has broke ground!

Should have done this a long time ago! Well worth the small investment!
    same here, I am a soil block evangelist. Only way to plant.

I used the small one (3/4" cube) for a while and it is more space efficient, but you have to transplant.
    I just start everything in 2" cubes now and they go straight into the garden.

Here's the one I use
    https://www.amazon.com/Ladbrooke-Han...gateway&sr=8-2

I'm holding off, we have 2 nights of freeze coming up monday and tuesday.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

So, it's YOUR FAULT I didn't do this sooner cuz you didn't encourage me! 😜

Yeah, I bought the 4 part 2" blocker too. Thought I posted that link as well.

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    same here, I am a soil block evangelist. Only way to plant.

I used the small one (3/4" cube) for a while and it is more space efficient, but you have to transplant.
    I just start everything in 2" cubes now and they go straight into the garden.

Here's the one I use
    https://www.amazon.com/Ladbrooke-Han...gateway&sr=8-2
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

That's why I have been collecting plastic milk jugs for 20 years! Great little individual greenhouses in the garden! Helps me get a jump on the growing season so I don't have to deal with the extreme Texas summer heat other than the melons and a few other produce that can tolerate it without me having to nurse them so much.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I'm holding off, we have 2 nights of freeze coming up monday and tuesday.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 02-28-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Cammie, Ok, now you got me goin'...Questions for you (and the others that may care to opine)

1) mind if I ask how large your garden is? I am going to start building my garden next week now, I think. It will be about 10 ft x 20 - 30 ft. Is that sufficient to feed a small family? I could do larger on other parts of the property, but the prime area, both for access and convenience is about that size.
    2) Soil here is hard reddish DG, probably should amend....any suggestions?
    3) Which veggies are best to grow first?
    4) How many of what? :-)

Sorry for all the questions, but you started it :-)...we've been putting off really getting into this for a few years now, but we know it's smart to start, and it sounds like fun (albeit a lot of work)

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Ouch! 37*. I feel your pain! We've had the doors and windows open all week. Upper 50's to low 70's. It almost got up to 80 I think it was Sunday.. I actually broke a sweat. LOL

Yeah, it hit 28 here AND freezing mist this am.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

It is work but, it's a different kind of work. I find it very relaxing as well as fulfilling to reap from my labor. Your not working for someone else. You're putting food on the table that you know exactly what is in it. Having your own store you shop from without government input is a major accomplishment as well.

Now to try and answer your questions...
    I have 4 gardens spread out over 5 acres.
    My 3 big gardens are close to an acre each.
    My kitchen garden is a lot smaller. It measure approx 96' at its widest point and angles down to 36' at its narrowest width. It's approx 100' long. This garden is my every day go to garden for immediate preps for meals. It houses my herbs as well and it also is where a lot of my berries are grown. At the end of the growing season, I harvest what hasn't been consumed and process it with the rest of my other gardens production.

My three bigger gardens are primarily for processing for storage long and short term. What doesn't get freeze dried for extended shelf life is canned for consumption within 2 years. One of those gardens are used to grow medicinal plants to make homeopathics. Another of my bigger gardens are for fruits and nut barring trees and shrubs.

Different locations and soils require different amendments so I would suggest to check with some of your local growers depending on if you are wanting organic, or if you plan to us chemercial products to amend.

Where I am, our soil was very poor. Mostly sand and red sandy loam so my amendments are greatly different than yours would be. I had to bring in dump truck loads of organic mushroom compost and til it into my Sandy dead soil. I still have this compost trucked in from time to time even though I make my own composts from non meat scraps, grass clipping, manure from my chicken coop, horse manure and cover crops and so forth. I also shred up all the plants left from the growing season into the compost and add discarded Fish part, bone meal and ground up oyster and egg shells. My soil is very rich now but it took a few years.

That's pretty much what I have to offer in the way of info for you.

Now days, I do a lot less. Mostly just some general amending with my own organic compost and A load of mushroom compost every three to four years.

My best suggestion is to start small with the dimensions you posted, then add to it as you progress both stamina and knowledge. There will be times of discourage and disappointment but don't let it stop you.

Quote Originally Posted by borrego View Post
    Cammie, Ok, now you got me goin'...Questions for you (and the others that may care to opine)

1) mind if I ask how large your garden is? I am going to start building my garden next week now, I think. It will be about 10 ft x 20 - 30 ft. Is that sufficient to feed a small family? I could do larger on other parts of the property, but the prime area, both for access and convenience is about that size.
    2) Soil here is hard reddish DG, probably should amend....any suggestions?
    3) Which veggies are best to grow first?
    4) How many of what? :-)

Sorry for all the questions, but you started it :-)...we've been putting off really getting into this for a few years now, but we know it's smart to start, and it sounds like fun (albeit a lot of work)

Thank you.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 02-28-2019 at 08:45 PM.

All that is just impressive to me Cammi. Very impressive.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Thanks..
    Getting started from scratch, I think is the hard part.

Did y'all see Cammie's grape harvest? She is a super gardner/prepper/woman! I'm pretty sure the Amish around here don't even garden as much as her.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.