Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upcoming food crisis

I was in Wisconsin yesterday and the temperature was below 20 degrees and snowing and there were Canada Geese flying about. Migrate south for the winter (?).
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

Canadian Geese have a lot of separate populations. There are the migratory birds that fly to and from the arctic every year and local birds (mostly the giant Canadian subspecies) that stay in one area almost all year around. The local birds will only move far enough to find open water and if they can find locally open water (water treatment plants, warm water discharge from power plants, etc) they'll stay year around regardless of temperature. Back when I used to goose hunt we had three seasons, the late and early seasons had higher bag limits because the local geese populations where considered to be too high so they put a season before and after the main migration times just to target local birds.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." Tuco

Not huge but prep for the day...

I put up 12 meals of homemade chicken stew for freezing/refrigeration. Great nutrition. So invigorating it's got to be close to being on drugs. Boil whole organic chicken until it's literally nothing but bones floating loose (usually 6+hours). Pull out bones and any gellatinous clumps of skin. Add chopped brussels sprouts, organic carrots, turnip, butternut squash, cellery, mushrooms, onion, salt, pepper & Mrs Dash. Potatoes and/or organic brown rice optional, along with peas & corn. I swear by all that's holy, if you down a good-size bowl of this and don't FEEL nourished at a cellular level... you're just not like the rest of us. My wife HATES half the things on tbat list but has loved eating the soup blended together. Got to try sometime. A bit labor-intensive but delicious and fortifying.

I mention "organic" only where it seems to matter. The chicken, rice, and carrots seem more flavorful and more nutritious when organic. The other ingredients I can't really tell a difference.
    Last edited by bruss01; 02-20-2019 at 01:51 AM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

I make soup to can by the 25 quart stock pot to fill quart jars for processing a few times a year. In your recipe, for me, I do not put squash in soups that I'm canning because they break down rapidly. I would add quartered onions just before the soup is ready to be canned. Just enough cook time on the onion for them to weep, and roasted red bell pepper quarters. Roasted red bells tend to bring out the flavor of the chicken stock as well as beef and pork.

I also tend to stay away from most of the premixed store shelf seasonings because they have a lot of preservatives in them. I grow a large amount of herbs and spice making foods so I dry and make most of my own spices and rubs.

When I make meat based soups, I like to either rub or marinate a day before it goes in the pot.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Now we know where to go when the grocery shelves are bare and we have heap big wumpum to barter....
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."