Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A week without heat....

Default A week without heat....

So my oil furnace took a dump last week. Fortunately I had some kerosene heaters. We ran them exclusively. At first I was very worried. We have a pretty big house. But we lit the kerosene heater and in the basement and we were actually about 60 degrees in the house. It was 12 at night. No problem. They run about 8 hours on 2.5 gal of fuel. I was very surprised they worked that well. Had some HVAC techs out today to fix the issue. Good to go. Nice having heat again. 4$ a gal of kerosene is crazy

Ouch that's expensive. Glad to hear you are up and running again.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

I keep several Kerosene heaters in my garage for just such back up purposes. Fortunately to date..I've not had to use them but there they are for just such back up purposes.

I even taught myself to change out the wicks in them.

And yes..Kerosene can be expensive.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

Glad to hear you had a stand-by back up.
    We have two separate heating systems for our house and in a pinch we also have portable propane heaters we could use. And it does get cold here even in AZ. It was 8 degrees this morning.

started picking up those radiator looking oil filled electric heaters when I found them cheap at the garage sales - best electric space heaters I've found - really kick out the heat and a WHOLE lot safer overall compared to the other offerings >>> decided on some electric to back up the propane & kerosene back up heaters - our electric comes right off the intercontinental transmission lines and they connect locally to the nuke plants - stand a decent %%% chance of having some electric even if it's a brown out mix ....

I have a couple of those oil filled radiator heaters and I like them for what they are. They heat some of the smaller rooms nicely...particularly my radio room...to which I will be going here shortly to speak to my friend out west in Tennessee.

If I am not in certain areas of this house ..I keep them very cool..above 60 degrees...or freezing...but not that heated If I an not going to be there for a long time. I will heat them ahead If I know I am going to use them for awhile. Other than that I tend to isolate rooms I am not using and don't bother heating them much.
    Difficult for a lot of people to do ..but it is my way. Same with the Conditioned air.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 02-12-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    started picking up those radiator looking oil filled electric heaters when I found them cheap at the garage sales - best electric space heaters I've found - really kick out the heat and a WHOLE lot safer overall compared to the other offerings >>> decided on some electric to back up the propane & kerosene back up heaters - our electric comes right off the intercontinental transmission lines and they connect locally to the nuke plants - stand a decent %%% chance of having some electric even if it's a brown out mix ....
    Same here - the kerosene odor gives my wife a splitting headache. We have an oil-filled electric "radiator" style, a quartz radiant unit for the living room (fake fireplace heater), and two force fan ceramic units which are great for the travel trailer. The radiator type take a while to heat up, but once they do, it's a nice even heat without the hot spots most electric space heaters are notorious for.

I also have a Mr. Buddy portable propane heater (safe for use indoors) and a Black Cat catalyst propane heater (good for warming your hands over, not supposed to use it in an enclosed space).
    Last edited by bruss01; 02-12-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

Day one I had a massive headache.. glad it isn't just me. My wife and son had no problems

yeah...you have to be very careful with those kerosene heaters..and carbon monoxide. I keep a window cracked when I use them...sometimes two windows.

And you need to do your wick maintenance..decarbonization on them.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    yeah...you have to be very careful with those kerosene heaters..and carbon monoxide. I keep a window cracked when I use them...sometimes two windows.

And you need to do your wick maintenance..decarbonization on them.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

good idea to read thru the articles that kerosene guru Miles Stairs has posted on his website - http://www.milesstair.com/ >>>> Miles is a fellow prepper and you can discuss issues openly with him ....

alot of preppers know the Wick Shop >>> don't know his Survival Shop - some interesting items from time to time - http://www.endtimesreport.com/survival_shop.html

writes some decent prepper articles on his ranting site >>>> http://www.endtimesreport.com/
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 02-13-2019 at 08:29 AM.