Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Need help with weeds

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East TN Smokey Mountains
    Posts
    4,872

    Default

    Explo, I've tried the rocks. They have a tendency to work their way up to tilling depth.
    I only use those on the permanent paths in my raised beds area.
    put them over landscape fabric and flame weed any weeds that sprout, easy to keep paths clean that way.

    but that's an interesting tip on the green sawdust, I will try that

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, CA
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    I've also used a mixture of Vinegar, Salt and Dawn dish soap to kill weeds. It does not work as well as Roundup, but it won't kill ya either......

  3. #13

    Default

    I don't have raised beds per se. Some are in those huge 25gal pots I posted pics of a couple years back but no actual raised beds. Some of my beds are framed in but I don't consider those raised beds either. My framed in beds are all melon beds.
    Anyway, rocks became a pita for me so I ditched those and went with the green wood sawdust and lime to keep weeds out.

    Speaking of... I have spent the whole day in my kitchen garden today. Man am I out of shape! Geez! I'm gonna be sore tonight!

    It's been in the 70's the last couple days so I took advantage of it. Got about half the cover crops tilled under, cleaned and turned the soil in several of my huge pots, cleaned out and got the green bean beds ready to plant. Cut out some of the damaged irrigation pipe and replaced with new pipe, ready for irrigation... It's 4pm and I'm calling it a productive day. Ugh, I'm whipped!

    I need to plant my seed potatoes by next weekend at the latest, so I'll tackle that area tomorrow, unless I'm bed ridden from being too sore. LOL I didn't plant last year so this is taking its tole on me!

    I LOVE MY GARDENS.. I LOVE MY GARDENS... I LOVE MY GARDENS...

    Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    I only use those on the permanent paths in my raised beds area.
    put them over landscape fabric and flame weed any weeds that sprout, easy to keep paths clean that way.

    but that's an interesting tip on the green sawdust, I will try that
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,389

    Default

    My biggest nemesis is BERMUDA GRASS!!!!!! GRRRRRR!!! Ya can't get rid of the stuff!!! You can till, dig, sift the dirt...whatever. But after all that if just one little sprig of root remains, next thing ya know...IT'S RIGHT BACK AGAIN. I think the roots must go at least twenty feet deep.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    My biggest nemesis is BERMUDA GRASS!!!!!! GRRRRRR!!! Ya can't get rid of the stuff!!! You can till, dig, sift the dirt...whatever. But after all that if just one little sprig of root remains, next thing ya know...IT'S RIGHT BACK AGAIN. I think the roots must go at least twenty feet deep.
    Yup, I've tried all of that. I thought of buying a small nuke on the black market and detonating it in the garden, but it turns out the HOA forbids it. Lol. If there was a market for crab grass and dandelions, I'd have my own private island.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Yup, I've tried all of that. I thought of buying a small nuke on the black market and detonating it in the garden, but it turns out the HOA forbids it. Lol. If there was a market for crab grass and dandelions, I'd have my own private island.
    Gotta prioritize. First, nuke the HOA. They're like demoncrats and a lot of repukelicans...AIN'T WORTH A SH*T! THEN...nuke the Bermuda grass, but I'm not sure that even that would work. Stuff is like fire ants. Get rid of'em in one place they just move over twenty feet and start a new colony.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast
    Posts
    1,832

    Default

    Might be a good offensive weapon to use against a neighbor you want to get rid of. lol

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East TN Smokey Mountains
    Posts
    4,872

    Default

    we have something similar called crab grass
    sends underground tentacles several feet before popping up.
    doesn't go deep like bermuda, but spreads all over up to maybe a foot underground.
    if I don't stay on top of it i forms thick mass underground which is a pain to get rid of.
    prevention is my best medicine, but if I don't keep up with it then the only alternative is to use potato fork and turn the ground an pick it out which is a very long and painstaking process.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •