Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homestead Rescue show

Default Homestead Rescue show

Watching homestead rescue.....idiots in Missouri didn't want to move their "cabin" shack that was in a flood zone. Also expected to make a years salary selling eggs ?

Not a bad show. But some of the homestead owners are truely idiots
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Agreed backpacker. I like the show but the owners are something special
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Most people in these times don't know what true homestead is. I see more people come and go in my area, thinking homesteading is some glamorous hobby they see in the movies. They come out here and buy some rediculously high priced piece of real estate with the intentions of raising several head of cattle on 5 to 10 acres and grow a small patch of garden veggies in a couple of 4'x4' X 6" plastic raised beds from TSC and a couple of rabbits and think they can survive a family of 4 on that, not taking into consideration the real labor involved in supporting a family year round. They last anywhere from 3 to 6 months and then abandon the property because it's not what they expected. "It's too hard!" City dwellers that venture out here for the unexpected short term are actually intertaining though.

The property below me (15 acres) has been turned I know at least 10 times since I've been here in 25 years. The in between times-the property is vacant of humans. That piece of property for sure has paid for itself over and over again!

I used to own that piece of property but after my husband passed away, I sold it back to the bank because I couldn't manage it alone with what I already have up top, sufficiently. I originally purchased it as a buffer zone from the main road and left it thick and undeveloped on purpose. My property is land locked with an easement so it was like having an organic 1 mile thicket fence to seperate my living property from prying eyes.

City dwellers buy the property, try to build a makeshift temp dwelling with no construction experience what so ever, bring in a bunch of dogs that serve no purpose, let them run loose to get shot because they raid my damn chickens, get pissed and cop an attitude instead of respecting their neighbors property, loose everything and eventually leave/abandon the place.

Moving to the country, starting off as a new homesteader is tough work and a lot has to be done long before considering yourself an actual 'homesteader'. The first year or so will either make you or break you, not to mention the stamina, persistence, willingness to do without and above all, faith. It takes time to settle in and learn the trades needed to survive and eventually thrive.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
    Watching homestead rescue.....idiots in Missouri didn't want to move their "cabin" shack that was in a flood zone. Also expected to make a years salary selling eggs ?

those freaking people are genius homesteaders compared to most on that program ....

almost every single failing homestead the Raineys respond to has no water - they bought crap property with little or no possibility of having potable water on the property >>>> who does that?

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    So.....realistic!
    Good medicine in bad places

They SERIOUSLY need to take lessons from Eustace Conway, of THE MOUNTAIN MEN tv show. Now THERE'S a man who knows what its all about.

Eustace was one of my favorites. But when Preston passed away, he wasn't quite the same. Gotta be hard to lose your best friend while living in a remote situation for many years.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Eustace, and Preston did things the old way on many of their projects, and can't believe the time, and effort they spent doing it that way. Lot's of respect for shunning society, and technology.

While I live on my 10 acre farm, raising (and protecting) animals, and already have a greenhouse, and have cut home heating firewood for 25 years, it still makes me nervous wanting to start over in Southern Kentucky when we retire. I am one to research every aspect of something new, and KNOW what i'm getting into. Not to mention, that I will be retired with plenty of time, and money to make things more comfortable.

Many of these young people on this show are fresh from the city, with no experience, and only a vague understanding of what it takes to survive in the bush. There are no thermostats, grocery stores, or repairmen out there....it's all you !