Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freeze dried food?

Default Freeze dried food?

So back to some survival stuff....one of my goals for the New Year is to get even more serious about our Preps, BOL, BOVs, Etc.

We have a small amount of Freeze dried put away, but I want to add more (so we don't end up eating beans and rice every day:-)

Any suggestions? Freeze dried? MREs? Other? Brands that actually taste good?

What alcohol do you have set aside for SHTF? Vodka and ?

Thanks.........

Here's a tip... Get a delivery venders license..$25 in most states... Call up wise foods. Tell them you want to become a dealer. Your initial order is like $2000 worth. Buy $2000 worth of wise food buckets at dealer price.. go out of business and cancle your business permit

You can do this with pretty much most company's you want stuff from. Yes the buy in to become a dealer can be high..but your probably saving easily a few hundred bucks easily.

I can see Mt Hood, Adams, St Helens and Rainer on a clear day

Quote Originally Posted by borrego View Post
    So back to some survival stuff....one of my goals for the New Year is to get even more serious about our Preps, BOL, BOVs, Etc.

We have a small amount of Freeze dried put away, but I want to add more (so we don't end up eating beans and rice every day:-)

Any suggestions? Freeze dried? MREs? Other? Brands that actually taste good?

What alcohol do you have set aside for SHTF? Vodka and ?

Thanks.........
    Hard to go wrong with Mountain House. Large selection and pretty tasty. Been using their products for sometime (mostly backpacking but recently more a mainstream dinner). I buy most on Amazon but Emergency Essentials has a larger selection. Wise is okay, I bought some of their products to give to people I don't like.

Alcohol...Vodka, Everclear and of course good Bourbon. I prefer Makers Mark but will settle for Jim Beam in a pinch. Have a lot of blackberry bushes, soak berries in Vodka, add a simple syrup and let set a month or so and you have "medicine" for the cold winters.

Ez

Invest in a dehydrator. Wife got mine at cabelas bargain cave for $120. You can just dehydrate about anything.. banana chips are awesome. Strawberries. Hell entire meals. Bag em up and make your own freeze-dried food stash... Bourbon ftw.

I have an Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator and a vacuum food saver and use them when I pick apples and have many pounds of them. I don't keep the apple chips for years but eat and share them until they are gone. I do store AlpineAire dehydrated products in large cans. I have used their foods camping over many years and have not been disappointed in a meal. I even add their cheese powder to my mac and cheese though it is on the salty side.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Invest in a dehydrator. Wife got mine at cabelas bargain cave for $120. You can just dehydrate about anything.. banana chips are awesome. Strawberries. Hell entire meals. Bag em up and make your own freeze-dried food stash... Bourbon ftw.
    Aha! Now there's an idea we'd kicked around and promptly forgot about...will look into it. I assume even with the cost of bags and sealer and all that it's still waaay cheaper?

Thrive freeze dried/dehydrated foods is what I have used mostly and can say everything I have tried has been VERY tasty. The biggest downfall is most of their stuff is on the expensive side. Mountain House is also good. Iíve eaten several of them when camping and always like them.

As far as alcohol goes, one look in our pantry and one would say that we are a lush. Burbon, vodka, whiskey, rum, and a few select European liquors. But we rarely drink. There is what is 3 beers left of a six pack in the fridge that has been there for 3 weeks.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

If you're gonna spend $2k on food just buy your own freeze dryer!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

My Freeze drier works great !