Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: About to get a new daily driver but which one?

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    What is the typical traffic, red light, stop signs etc around your town? Thats good mileage.
    I believe its a hybrid, that would explain better town mileage vs. hwy. He gets like 5x better mileage than me. LOL
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I have an 05 camry. 4 cyl auto. I'm getting less than 30mpg from it. Haven't found the right combo for hypermiling it yet either. I was driving a 98 civic, 4 cyl, 5 spd. I could push it and get 40 mpg. I didn't fit that car as well and it needed some $ put in it to rebuild the front end. But I miss the cost savings. The camry is still way better than my truck, which gets 17 pretty much at best. I do need to find the sweet spots and maybe upgarde some things with the camry to improve what I've saw so far.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

My daily commute is 60 miles. That is 15 miles one way, twice a day. For the first 7 miles, there are 2 different routes that I can take. One way is speed limit 45 mph and 6 stop lights and one stop sign. The other route has a speed limit of about 35 mph for 5 miles and then 2 miles of 45 mph with 2 stop signs and 4 stop lights. After those different routs the speed limit goes up to 60 mph, then down to 40 mph, then back up to 50 mph for the rest of my commute. That last stretch of road has 5 stop lights.

Reading online on the Niro, people have said that this car gets better fuel economy when it is warmer outside, sometimes significantly better. This past week of driving has proved that to be true. Despite morning temps being in the 30ís, for 3 days of commuting, the instrument cluster showed an average mpg of just over 60 mpg. Then my wife had to drive it to Dallas for a conference. Yesterday afternoon she got back and we then drove out to east Texas. After filling it up with gas last night, that 60 mpg had dropped down to 47 mpg with a total of 400 miles on that tank of fuel with nearly 3 gallons left in the tank.

We now have over 4,000 miles on it. Iím confident now that if SHTF, I could push it to get 720 miles of range out of its 12 gallon fuel tank. Add a 5 gallon gas can and that range extends to 1,000 miles.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I generally don't purchase a vehicle on gas milage stats..they are usually fudged anyway and don't reflect real world conditions. Is. A racecar driver on a ultrasmooth test track giving the vehicle little to no resistance in the corners. Ultra slow take offs light to light. Ultra smooth coast to stops. Basicly hypermileing . I buy on my needs. And only SUV,s or big trucks. To many idiots in f350s and other bigass trucksc ..one of those t bone you in a corolla or Suzuki axiom your family is dunfer. I buy cars that can at least take a hit and keep going. Few years back I was headed to dinner with my family. About 1/4 mile up the road I saw a ford focus cross center and go sideways and got hit by a big f150. There's a cross on the road there now.

Good report Cav. Sounds like you have hit a nice find getting that kind of milage.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

With todayís vehicles, you really donít know just how bad they have gotten, even the large ones, until there has been an accident. Case in point, about 2 years ago one of my brothers bought a brand new truck. An F150. A couple of months after he bought it, he took it through an automatic car wash. BIG MISTAKE!!! One of the rollers hit and twisted the radio antenna. No big deal, that happens all the time and no damage is done. Well, it pulled the antenna out of the mount severely damaging the fender, and the antenna and wire. Ford truck bodies are now made of aluminum!! It was cheaper to have the entire fender replaced and paint matched than it was to repair the damaged fender. After just one year of use, the bed was severely beat up with large dents in it.

My point is that vehicles are made the way they used to be. Typically, yes, the bigger vehicle will always win in a wreck. But that doesnít mean that big vehicles are always safer. Due to high center of gravity it is easier for a larger vehicle to roll in an accident.

Sometime down the road, I want to get a late 90ís 4X4 Suburban. Drop the gas motor and install a Cummins 4BT. Then install air suspension and some huge custom bumpers. This setup would get 30 mpg on the highway and still be able to go through some nasty mud with raising the suspension with air.

In the meantime though, if the Dems get back into power, I expect gas prices to sky rocket. Even with gas being cheap right now, we are saving $100 a month by driving this car on trips instead of our truck. If gas prices go up, that amount saved could go up by a lot.

Finally figured out how to drive this thing to get the hybrid battery to charge fully. So on Sunday I tried to see how far one could drive on electric only without the gas engine automatically turning on. 5.25 miles in town with speeds from 30 to 45 mph is what it got.