Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About to get a new daily driver but which one?

Bought my kid a new ford suv, didn't even come with a spare! New cars are not intended to be self serviced. Does that new kia have a spare?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

The one thing that I really like so far about this car is it can run 100% electric. It is dead quiet when it is in full electric mode. I havenít really tried to see how far it can go yet but I have gotten it to go 1/2 a mile with the engine off. The electric motor is rated at 45 hp and something like 150 ft lbs of torque. I have gotten it to go full electric at speeds as high as 70 mph! So if I ever need to get through an area as quiet as possible, it can be done. After I go back to work after the Christmas break Iíll see how far it can go while being in all electric mode.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Bought my kid a new ford suv, didn't even come with a spare! New cars are not intended to be self serviced. Does that new kia have a spare?
    Surprisingly yes, it does come with a spare tire. It has a styrofoam storage bin above the spare but below the cargo floor that needs to be modified so I can store my AR there. Gotta find a good hidden spot up front to mount a pistol holster to as well.

That's good!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

After getting the battery to 3/4 charge, I drove it for 2.5 miles on electric power only at 30-35 mph and going up 2 small hills.

I would think it has a usable range of at least 100 miles at a decent speed. My brother has a Nissan Leaf that he constantly has to alter his plans for because the weather is too cold, or the wind is too strong, or there isn't a re-charging station nearby....be wary, although his is fully electric ONLY.

This one being a hybrid only(not a plug-in hybrid), it has a small battery pack. The battery is a 1.6 kWh pack and has a theoretical range of only 5 miles. Seeing how I am in central Texas, it typically doesnít get too cold here, but it does get pretty windy at times. While heading south a few days ago we were driving into a stiff headwind but it still got excellent fuel economy.

So today I filled up with gas after church while heading home. I decided to really try to get great gas mileage while not being a danger to others nor ourselves. It was a 10.3 mile trip and the car averaged 91.6 mpg!

So after putting 3k miles on it, here is what mpg it gets.

Straight highway going the posted speed limit with using cruise control gets 42-44 mpg.

After 2 full tanks of gas the around town mileage has been right at 50 mpg(49.7 and 50.5 mpg).

What is the typical traffic, red light, stop signs etc around your town? Thats good mileage.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13