Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About to get a new daily driver but which one?

Decided on a vehicle today. It was the most comfortable vehicle I had sat in which I thought was outside of our budget. It is a small hybrid SUV that is rated to get 51 mpg in town and 47 mpg on the highway. Itís not off road worthy without a tire swap but it has plenty of cargo capacity.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Finally, now we can all breathe again..... All this holding our breath awaiting your decision.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Decided on a vehicle today. It was the most comfortable vehicle I had sat in which I thought was outside of our budget. It is a small hybrid SUV that is rated to get 51 mpg in town and 47 mpg on the highway. Itís not off road worthy without a tire swap but it has plenty of cargo capacity.
    So what year, model, and make small hybrid SUV did you get, and how do you like it ?

2018 Kia Niro LX. Window sticker showed an MSRP of $26k but this was the last 2018 model they had on the lot. Got them down to $21.5k. Payments are also below our max so thatís good too.

Yesterday we took it on a road trip down south to near the Texas/Mexico border. We were driving with a family member who was driving a 2018 Ford Escape. They averaged 26.5 mpg while we averaged 46 mpg. That was with going the speed limit, which was 80 mph on one long toll road. So far itís working out to be nice.

Oh, the Ford Escape has to stop to fill up with gas. We drove just over 300 miles and the Niro shows that we have almost 200 miles of range left on this tank of fuel. With implementing hyper mile driving techniques, it should be pretty easy to exceed 50 mpg on the highway, and possibly get close to 60.

The Kia Niro currently holds a world record. The record is the highest average MPG driving from L.A. to New York. The people driving the Niro averaged 76 mpg on that trip!!

Hyper mile driving is a dickhead move if you plan to draft behind other vehicles, and stressful for the driver. My BIL is a motorcycle cop who loves pulling over
    /ticketing tailgating drivers....just saying !

Drafting is one of a few moves that I donít do. When I hypermile, it is done in a safe manner so it does not endanger other people on the road. For the most part, I donít hypermile on 2 lane roads. If traffic is light and I am on a 4 lane road then Iíll hypermile.

I'll hypermile as I can regardless where I am. But also watch for any safety issues. Drafting isn't something I'd do at all. Just asking for trouble. My old beater has been retired and I'm currently trying to figure out my newer beater which has an auto tranny. Much harder for me with it.

Good luck with the Kia Cav. 50mpg is nothing to sneeze at.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I get about 9 mpg..........I just grin and bear it.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    I get about 9 mpg..........I just grin and bear it.
    Tell me about it. Got an '87 Ranger STX that gets 16/17 no matter what... well except in FWD when it drops a bit. It will go most anywhere I need but not all that far with an approximately 15 gallon tank. Then there's my Festiva that gets better than 40mpg but lacks ground clearance. :^) I guess I could go out and get something like that Kia, but I'd probably be challenged to just try changin' oil or plugs on my own.