Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How I joined the Militia

There's more!?
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

Quote Originally Posted by VoorTrekker View Post
    There's more!?
    yes it's pretty much complete - I keep thinking I'm going to edit before posting but editing is no fun

So what's with the guys in Utah? They gonna' plan a strike? Train the militia? Friggatoni's dude.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!

Quote Originally Posted by VoorTrekker View Post
    So what's with the guys in Utah? They gonna' plan a strike? Train the militia? Friggatoni's dude.
    it's a non union novel - no strikes

Pffft. Whatever.

Chapter 8

James, aka #1 son , had a nightmare. Again. He woke in a sweat. In his nightmare he swam to the little girl, when he tried to pull her to shore the body split into pieces and sank. It was 2 am, and he was in his dorm room. He had become a bit of a celebrity on the tiny college campus. Video of him saving the little girl blown into the water had made it to the internet. It even caught the little girl vomiting in his face as she began to breathe again. But the little bit of fame seemed to keep the nightmares coming.

From the dark, “You ok Big J Man.” It was his roommate King, a monstrous football player from Arkansas. King was 6’5” and few fried chicken legs over 300 lbs., black as the Ace of Spades. He carried a 4.0 in Philosophy along with every running back or receiver that he got his hands on. His grand plan was to graduate, then Seminary then serve as an Army Chaplain in the Rangers or something like that.

“Just another dream.”

“Ok bro, listen and I’m serious here. Start coming to conditioning with me. Conditioning coach is more than cool with it. He’ll exercise all that **** right out of your head.”

“Thanks, King. You ok with me surfing the net some? I can go out to the lounge if it’ll keep you up.”

“That’s cool man, I’m going to get some Bible time while I’m up.” A reading light on King’s bunk lit up. King’s main hobby besides working out was reading various translations of the bible and making notes in a bound book of the differences.

James went to one of his comic book web sites. Then found himself surfing the Army and Marine Corps recruiting pages. A degree in Accounting seemed so pointless now. He browsed a couple three letter agency pages, CIA, FBI… He decided he was going to go talk to some recruiters. He dropped a few ‘contact me’

He swapped back to an Alternate History Fan Fiction page. A personal message box popped up.

/dev/ones: Do you really want to fight terror.

FanFicBigJ: Yes

Ok this is really weird how does this person no what I was doing and how did they get special characters in their user name.

/dev/ones: Do you really, really want to fight terror.

FanFicBigJ: Yes! I think I’m going to drop out and enlist

/dev/ones: No!
    /dev/ones: Finish your Accounting Degree.
    /dev/ones: If you want go to Air Force bootcamp this summer.
    /dev/ones: We’re going to switch your Senior classes to the Forensic Accounting ones
    /dev/ones: To REALLY fight terror we need to track and fight their money.

FanFicBigJ: But those classes are outside my track

/dev/ones: Trust us it can be made to work. Get in shape.
    /dev/ones: An Air Force recruiter will come see you.

Then his computer shut down and restarted. When he got back the thread was gone.

In the morning. “King, I think I’ll take you up on the conditioning thing.”

“Outstanding, we’ll start now drop and give me 50 pushups! Just kidding. We’ll start with your diet. I’ll spot you some protein drink. Then at breakfast you can have all the meat, eggs, cheese and fruit you want. No bread or pancakes or cereal. One little glass of juice, no sugar soda… “

James was nervous and almost didn’t go to the gym for the first work out. But he was welcomed by the players and coach. He didn’t quite die on the first day and the nightmares were gone.

A few weeks later Jame’s cell rang. “James this is Staff Sergeant Wigger USAF, I understand you’d like to enlist. Would you care to grab some dinner and talk about it? “

Wigger picked him up in a slate grey jeep and they went local BBQ joint. Wigger was a short little dude in Carhart jeans and a grey flight style jacket and wellington boots. In the restaurant he had on a maroon polo with a pararescue emblem on the chest.

“Ok this isn’t the standard recruiting pitch. I’ve seen the video with the little girl as a Pararescueman I give you a big ‘hoo ya!’ over that. I think you might have a future in that community but that’s not what we’re here for.”

“So are you on recruiting duty?” James asked.

“Not quite, convalescent and rehabilitation.” He hiked up his left pant leg showing the prostatic leg underneath.

“Anyway here’s what we have to offer, eight and a half weeks of basic military training in lovely San Antonio Texas. But wait there is more. We’d like to put you in a SOC platoon. These are guys who are fitter and smarter than the average boot. Most of them want to be PJ’s like me or Combat Controllers or some such. You’ll do a little more PT so the academic classes are run a lot faster. You’ll do a lot more pool work but being a lifeguard that should be less of an issue for you. To be honest boot camp ain’t all that tough and this is just a little tougher.

“Then what?”

“To be honest Iduhno. I’m going around and pitching to guys like you for something special. Not like ape special like mad scientist special, cyber war, financial war. For you I understand you come back and finish college then I don’t know if they send you to office school or what next. Oh and you get $300 a month allowance in school. So are you in?”

James hesitated. “Listen man I don’t know exactly what this is but the people running it are no BS. They been there and done that and most lost the body parts so they don’t need no t-shirt. If it was me I’d jump on it.”

James jumped.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=

I’d always said if the group started to make ghillie suits I was out of there so what was the next meeting, making ghillie suits. To my limited mind this was the height of foolishness. Sniping in a rural environment seemed the least likely ‘mission’. The warning order for the training said to bring an old field shirt or coat and binoculars or spotting scopes, notebooks and writing Implements. The order made reference to the ‘Battle of the Cowpens’.

To my limited understanding the Cowpens wasn’t so much a sniper action as a defense in depth and excellent bit of leadership. American General Morgan had in mind to never ask more of his men than they were capable of. Morgan had regulars, militia and riflemen. Back in the day the milita was seen as next to useless and liable to run at or before the first shot. Riflemen not much more reliable with the real fighting done by regulars.

Morgan set two companies of riflemen in skirmish order out front with orders to ‘fire at the big hats’, those being the sergeants and officers. Then to fall back and form up with the militia.

The militia was formed in line in front of the Regulars. The militia, reinforced with riflemen, was to fire two volleys then retreat behind the hill the regulars were on.

The plan worked almost exactly as expected. The riflemen eliminated much of the British leadership. As the British advanced on the militia they mistook the shift to the rear after the second volley as the militia breaking. So they charged intending to sweep the field. But instead of fleeing a broken militia they ran headlong into regulars. Morgan even managed to rally the militia behind the hill marching them around the hill and into the British flank.

The result was a devastating loss for the British.

Back in modern times the make ghillie class was actually somewhat interesting. They showed both the traditional sewing burlap strips on and faux-ghillie using camouflage netting. After lunch we had classes in observing. I found this very useful. They guys teaching had been to some of the higher end civilian ‘sniper’ schools. I learned a lot about what good binoculars or a good spotting scope could do. We spent time glassing areas noting the items seen. We tried peering into windows, look mom Peeping Tom 101! Finally our instructors stalked up on us in ghillie, not sure exactly what that was good for but it was interesting.

The day ended with talk of GOTT’17 , Gathering of the Tribes 2017. It was a 5 daylong event to bring together militia units from several states. One the one hand it could be a lot of fun – on the other it could get way way way sideways really fast. Maybe the voice in my head , er computer, would chime in Gravy and Ratchet were both planning to attend so that was a good sign.

Back at home the wife had chilly on, she was headed out for a hen party of gals playing one of the bizarre card games women play. #1 son was home but soon to head out to see Gravy’s daughter Emily. They were beginning to become a bit of an item. “Where are you going?”

“Saturday night service at her Church then dinner at her folks place. Maybe a late movie. Hey can you help me brush up on my shooting? They’re talking about going to their farm if it’s not too cold tomorrow … “

Now both sons knew how to shoot but #2 was much more into it than #1. “Sure Bud but sounds like you’ll have to be up early”

I figured I’d get contracted during my surfing session that night. Nothing. Damn unreliable mysterious internet presence. I looked up GOTT and it seemed legit. Seems like it would be on public lands in South Dakota. Trailers would be ok but no electric or water. Temps would typically be chilly at night but nice during the day. Well I had my trusty French Army tent. Folks laughed but two simple poles and it was up. The bathtub floor was super thick totally waterproof and the top and walls were extra thick as well.

The was the first campout I will have been on with an assigned radio frequency list …. Well definitely maybe.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

March training was called Sergeant Paul Bunyan training. A guy from the Son’s of Liberty was apparently a Stihl chainsaw dealer and trainer. I’d never seen SOL before but they seemed to prefer the old school olive drab uniforms. This guy was an awesome trainer. We started with how to sharpen axes, chain saws and even bow saws. He demonstrated using hatchets, axes and bow saws to fell trees and then to piece them up. Then we got to practice on real live trees. Well real dead trees in a river bottom.

Over lunch he talked of his time as a hot shot firefighter and smoke jumper out west. He demonstrated the fine art of preparing ‘Smokejumper Spam’
    1. Build small fire if you’re not already in the middle of one
    2. Open can of spam
    3. Take out knife wipe majority of funk from it
    4. Cut deep tic-tac-toe pattern in spam, still in can
    5. Liberally sprinkle orange bug juice powder on top of spam, lemonade powder is good too, red is acceptable any other color is an offense against God and nature
    6. Work can into the edge of the fire until it begins to sizzle
    The bug juice will mix with the spam fat to form a glaze of sorts. I took the chance to taste some, quite good.

After lunch we got to use chain saws. He demonstrated why chainsaw chaps are a must, using an old pair of chaps to show how quickly they could stop a saw. He demonstrated a sharp chain vs a dull chain. He demonstrated the green low kick back chain vs the yellow professional chain. He checked out everyone’s saw, my Stihl 290 got a thumbs up, and set us to work. Something manly about using a chainsaw. At the end of the day he demonstrated special carbide saw chain. Where a regular chain dulls when you saw into a nail or into the ground a carbide one keeps right on going. Making them very popular with rescue squads and such. The down side was three fold, first it was expensive, second it was very high potential for kickback and lastly it right though protective chaps.

This was some of the best training we’ve done. Very relevant in my mind to a mission we might actually do. It was somewhat entertaining to see the huffing, puffing and wheezing of the smoking crew. Small of me but there it is. I made a mental note to check out the Sons Of Liberty group.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The idea for The Network stated as a capstone project with a then Special Forces Major at Naval War College. His thesis was on the value of a civilian militia. As the regular military is prevented from operating in the US. There were numerous militia groups being formed in the US, could these groups be harnessed. The paper earned the Major a the lowest passing grade, B-. The Major didn’t care, he was just punching a ticket to get back to the SF community. It might have ended there but one of the board that reviewed his work was a Navy Captain, a SEAL navy Captain. Who thought to himself hmmmm. The Captain passed it to a Spec Ops general he knew and a high ranking official in Homeland Security. These folks thought to themselves hmmmmm. And so it started. The project was quietly classified and the Major promoted to LtCol and transferred to 19th Special Forces Group in Draper UT.

Mini chapter - political stuff - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

----

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Presidential election was a mess. Several states were won by less than a single percentage point with reports of ‘irregularities’ rampant. Voting machines were inaccurately recording votes, oddly enough all in the same direction. There were precincts with 100%, 102%, even 108% turn out. In other precincts with lines out the door the recorded vote was 30%. By Wednesday morning neither candidate had the required 270 electoral votes. The vote too close to call in what was normally an insignificant state. By Friday morning lawyers from both sides were doing legal battle in earnest. Federal courts often with judges recently appointed by the sitting President made ruling and issued injunctions. Higher courts stayed and reversed. Several states went from decided to recounting. Some states ordered to recount refused to comply.

It was a huge mess. It had not clarified by Thanksgiving. The country took a pause to feast, watch some parades and some football. The country was shocked when it was announced the president would address the nation the evening of Thanksgiving. The NFL frantically worked to reschedule the evening game around the president’s address to the nation from his vacation in Hawaii. It was unlikely the president read from the teleprompter that the election results were unlikely to clarify in the mandated times. Any attempt to force this would make a large portion of the population not accepting of the results. He was there for ordering ALL states to recount the election 100% to be supervised by the justice department. As it would not be legal for the President to carry on beyond the end of his second term and it would be unseemly to turn over power on the 20th of January he would resign on January the 19th with the vice president taking power with the title of President Pro Tempore of The United States.

Pause for feasting, football, parades and shopping over! The internet went WILD! The 24/7 news channels went wild!

I told the wife planned shopping for the following day was canceled, at least until well after daylight and we had a chance to see what was shaking out. I decided to get up early to watch some Fox and see what was shaking. I hauled the bread machine out deciding to set it to have fresh Bimany Bay bread – a dense yeast loaf with whole wheat, oatmeal, eggs and molasses. There was something about early morning news with fresh hot bread and butter. Oh and coffee, hmmmm the jar was low and I had bought myself some Black Rifle Coffee Company Murdered Out Blend, “It's darker than a steer's tuchus on a moonless prairie night."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-

Nobody was happy with the solution. But the President, normally feckless and incompetent, was crafty with his plan. He well knew the Supreme Court ,SCOTUS, was a 4 - 4 tie and both sides of the SCOTUS had closed ranks. In a shockingly political move the VP now President Pro Tempore had nominated his party's Presidential candidate to be his Vice President Pro Tempore.

The congress responded by doing nothing. That is the majority party essentially went on strike. Preventing a quorum and stopping all business. It was threatened to have US Marshalls bodily bring Congressmen and Senators to the capital.

The military was in quite a quandary. Who was National Command Authority? Did they follow the orders of the President Pro Tempore of The United States? Could they not follow orders? Several of the Joint Chiefs wondered aloud about resigning to which the Chairman angrily replied he'd have the Sergeant Major of the Army break both their hands so they couldn't sign a resignation letters.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-==-

Tom Clancy!! This is intriguing, just what we need. Keep going, but pace yourself. I like the direction and can almost draw the parallels and the may if's be's.

Well WTR you certainly put a spin on this story. I could sure see some parallels with today goings on.
    Good story so far.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Chapter 9

It dragged on. There were protests. Sometimes violent ones.

The militia gained quite a few members. Ammo prices went up so a class on reloading ammunition was taught, I even assisted being deemed especially qualified with my given Nom de Millitia of Reloads. Boomer surprised everyone organizing a huge group order of Russian surplus pulled down 556 powder, 55 gr FMJ and 64 gr SP bullets and primers.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-===-=-=-=-=-==-=-==-=-=-=

We had a training on how to do road blocks ,check vehicles through and search for bombs. Not sure what that was all about but it was quite interesting. The guys teaching it had done tours in Afghanistan and Iraq and were quite proficient. How likely was a vehicle borne IED in the Midwest? Why would be ever setting up a roadblock? About the only down side is I got stuck on a 'smoke squad'for this drill. Not sure what was worse the car exhausts or my team mates. They must have been heavy smokers cause 45 minutes w/o a smoke and they would start to get ****y.

================================================== ============

Gravy got a bunch of us to do the Watchmen's qualification exercise or QX. Gravy was going to try and recruit people to attend the Gathering Of The Tribes or GOTT, the big multi-state militia expo. Gravy and Mrs. Gravy where there along with little Hispanic guy called Speedy, Boomer , Shorty and of course myself. The QX was on an old strip mine property of about 200 acres. There were several militia groups present though the Watchmen were most prevalent, well it was their party. We were assigned a plot of ground close enough to the pit toilet to make late night use not so bad but far enough away to keep the smell reasonable.

We pitched tents and laid out our gear for 'inspection' inside the tent as was Watchmen custom I guess. My tent was an old school French F1 tent in somewhere between baby poop yellow and mustard brown. Don't laugh it's looks a lot like a 1970's boy scout pup tent but it's a heavy duty piece of kit with some nice features. The 'inspecting party' arrived, I wasn't sure if I needed to call the camp to attention or just say, "Howdy" so I went with howdy.

Sergeant Major Tomahawk chuckled at my tent. "1978 called and they want their tent back!" He mentioned the piece of Tyvek house wrap I had covering the whole floor of the tent, asking why I hadn't put it underneath the tent. He was surprised when I told him there WAS an identical piece under the tent, I really like to stay dry. He was impressed with my Allen Gallon food bags and gave a thumbs up on the contents. He asked to handle my carbine. Since this wasn't truly a militia event I brought my favorite PSA 9 mm set to take Glock magazines.

"Well now this is an interesting choice, will it hit at 100 yards?"

"Oh sure. I should have no trouble with that."

Shorty was decked out in her new SR556C with an ACOG . Her tent was and older Eureka USMC tent with tan on one side of the fly and green on the other. I had since learned Shorty had not borrowed a USMC tac vest for that first day of training. She was a Marine. She's been given a medical discharge after some sort of a heart condition had been found. Her gear was a mix of Airforce surplus boots, Belgian surplus pants and top and USMC web gear complete with a chest holstered Sig P229 aka USMC M11 pistol.

Where Shorty was tall Speedy was a tiny little dude. He was named for Speedy Gonzalez , the fastest mouse in all Mexico, and it was a slam on his heritage but an accurate reflection of his personality. His AR was technically a pistol with a 14" barrel and blade brace , not a stock thing. It was a sweet piece of gear by Saurez International with Trigicon MRO ridding on top. Speedy was one of those guys who could not sit still and all his stuff was either light or ultra light. He threw me a bundle a little lighter than a football, it was his tent including poles and pegs, it weighed maybe 3 lbs.

Gravy and the Mrs has a tajma tent - roughly the size of an appartment complex and they had the pickup truck camper as well. Two is one, one is none!

Gear inspection over we gathered for the qualifications. There were almost 100 people here. Most were in Watcman ACU's with their triangular emblems. Some Watchmen had come in from other states and there were outsiders such as ourselves sometimes called guests and sometimes called 'English' as the Amish might refer to all of us.

Qualification would be a continuous deal starting with the 2 mile ruck, groups would leave at a 3 minute stagger. The ruck would end at the rifle range. The range was steel with several lanes, very cool. From rifle we went to pistol, again steel, again very cool and finally on to the map/gps trek.

The militia was let out in a single group maybe 15 minutes into the event. Shorty , Boomer and Speedy took off at a dead run. Speedy was not only a marathon runner but an ULTRA marathon runner and was quickly out of sight. Boomer was ahead of Shorty for a while but soon the bouncing had his gear coming apart and threating to abandon ship. Shorty took a moment to square him away and trotted on together. Gravy, Mrs. Gravy and I power walked along well ahead of the one hour time limit. We grumbled a little at the 100' spoil pile we had to hump over. We saw Boomer and Shorty in line at the Pistol Qual and Speedy way over at the start to the trek.

We easily qualified 30/30 at rifle range. I decided to have fun and mag dumped as quickly as I could. I'd loaded only 10 rounds in each of three mags. Range Officer on my lane say's, "Well I didn't see any hit the berm but it was too fast to count. I'll give you 30/30."

The Trek could be done either by map and compass or by GPS but had to be done solo. I had a GPS but loaned it to Mrs. Gravy as they only had one between them. We were given laminated printouts of Goolge Maps of the training area with the three points marked and gps coordinates listed. They tried to throw some folks a curve using different coordinate systems. I just grabbed a map and oriented it to my compass. I could hump up what looked like 3 big spoil piles or I could run down a road between them and hump up one.

I finished just after Speedy and just before Shorty. The Gravys cheated and ran together, but it wasn't our QX. We were just begining to wonder about Boomer when he hauled himself in. He'd entered the points into GPS wrong. He just barely would have qualified.

We broke for lunch. Seating arrangements had to be redone when I broke out two tins of sardines, Seems there is some militia bylaw stating sardines must be eaten downwind except when in actual combat. Speedy offered bottled protein shakes in 'Mexican' flavors. Seems he was a sales rep for a sports nutritional company getting into this market. Mine was mango, not bad, Shorty got 'con leche' which she didn't care for but I found the vanilla and cinnamon to be excellent.

We all tossed cans in for the 'what ya brung chilli' that would be dinner. Speedy picked up my can of Chorezo Spam. "Now this might make for interesting chow.'

We were loooking at the SOE schedule of events for the rest of the day when Maj Hatchet came to talk to Gravy. We were invited to an off schedule FPG (Family Protection Group) exercise on a neighboring propety. We would be used to round out incomplete teams or to add a newbie to complete teams,

The property down the road was a horse farm with an old unused two story house in midst of renovation. The horses were actually quite curious as to our activities. A sterile area was set up inside which no real guns ammo or knives could go. The Watchmen were all quite used to this.

There were a few Watchmen Wives and kids who would play extras.

The FPG extraction was simple. Roll up in two vehicles a security team and a entry team. Arriving on the scene the four man security team sets up a perimiter. The entry team then extracts the family members from the house and everyone drives away.

Part of me wondered to self, "Self won't something bad happen, like a poilce swat team, if four dudes in ACU's and AR start to stand around a house in the middle of the day." They must have heard me thinking. In pre-mission brief for the first run it was called Low Impact so they through over sized dress shirts on over ACU. Dorky but effective. In this case three security team members got out with pistols concealed.

We mostly filled in during the afternoon on various positions. Once in a while there would be a bit of a fire fight or a beligernt person or group would need to be moved away. I notice a guy in a powdered wheel chair taking photos and notes.

For a grand finale the Watchman asked if the militia would like a run? Of course we would but we smelled a rat. As we drove in I saw the special van, the one the wheel chair guy could drive in the driveway.

"You think Dragster is the guy we're extracting?"

"Ok, remeber the car seat clusters they got into? What if we have Dragster drive out in his car. Speedy and Boomer ride with him."

Murphy the wrecker of all plans was either off today or we were Murphy to the Watchman's but we guessed correctly and pulled it off smoothly.

Back at camp we cooked a big pot of 'what ya got' chillie. It was awesome with some ice cold sweet sun tea. A beer might have been better but it was verboten at Watchmen events. After dinner Boomer broke out a big nansty Cigar which seemed to draw other nasty cigar people over. Several of us migrated to other camps.

I found the comm tent. They were about to launch a ballon to carry an antenna up, In no time they were in comms with other watchmen units accross the country and then with HAMS accross the world. The geek in me found this so cool.

A live night fire was held. All the Watchmen RSO's had night vision and it was done in a very controlled manner. It was really and interesting experiance. I found I was reletivly efefective with handgun and flashlight but all but useless with carbine in the dark. It was eye opening. Some of the short barrel AR's were blinding! Very cool!

Back at camp the Gravys had a fire in a fire ring and the cigar nasties had wandered off. We talked a bit. Gravy checked his phone and it looked like weather was moving in but it should pass by morning. They mentioned bailing into the 'bunker' if it got bad. Mrs Gravy looked around and suggested a tot of medicinal rum. Good rum in a paper cup hit the spot.

========================================

Back at home the next day I check my favorite forumns and my old friend was back

/dev/null: Got to GOTT

me: Not sure I have the time

/dev/null: You will be met there - there will be an important meeting