Thread: Mushrooms

Default Mushrooms

Anybody consider producing mushrooms for when shtf scenario?

I grow them. Several different kinds. I actually started growing them accidentally. lol
    I bought 4 dump truck loads of mushroom compost a few years back from a local organic mushroom farm. Low and behold, the spores came with the compost. I had edible mushrooms growing all through my gardens so I started managing them. Now I have an actually designated place where I grow them deliberately. On occasion, more mushrooms appear throughout the gardens but I usually just til them under to fertilize the soil... They are very easy to grow as long as you keep the soil moist and mulched with deadwood.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Only thing I know about mushrooms is the ones canned in Mex and the ones that grow in cow patties.

The 70's being what they were, a guy I grew up with, played LL together, then in Jr Hi and HS I snapped and he punted. Anyway, he's a great guy but a little strange, I guess. Started this thing that sounded like way too much work, but whatever. He would go out and harvest the magic mushrooms along the Guadalupe River and take home. Then slice them thin and place a slice in petrel dish and place in pantry in dark. Some time later he would pull one out and scrape the fungus out and put in blender with OJ and blend and drink. Threw up shortly after but then got really spaced or something for a while.

Like I said, too much work for that.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Mushrooms are rich in vitamin D.

Unless you're drinking unpasturized milk or taking supplements, they can be an important nutritional boost.

Vitamin D fights depression (especially due to sunlight deprivation known as SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Vitamin D is very useful in boosting immune systems, even more than Vitamin C.

And of course we're all familiar with how important Vitamin D is to utilizing dietary calcium in building strong bones and teeth (fighting osteoporosis).

So the lowly mushroom might be a good way to utilize space (interior or exterior) where you wouldn't be able to grow other crops due to poor sunlight.

Let there be fungus among us!
    Last edited by bruss01; 11-01-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

God is amazing, The sun provides good energy to us and mushrooms provide that energy in lack of sun.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Man I haven't done mushrooms since high schoo...oh you mean like for eating...lol. I actually love mushrooms. But it seems like a waste of time you could be growing something more calorie based. Like potato's or something. But I can't grow a good beard let alone food. So I don't know..

Actually, mushrooms are full of vitamins and protein. It's a very healthy and beneficial food source. I grow several varieties.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Dident know that... Seemed so minor of a. Fungus too me