Thread: Texting With Intermittent Signal

Default Texting With Intermittent Signal

While traveling recently we got only 1 bar on our phones and only got that intermittently.

It was discovered that the app we use for texting has to connect to the central computer before it will allow you to compose a message. I was expecting new messages to go in a queue and be sent the instant we got a signal.

I thought phones used to work that way. No?

So i am looking for a messaging app with no other fees, infrastructure such as wifi or hardware required that allows you to queue your text message and will then automatically send it when it gets signal for a few seconds.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by bruss01; 10-17-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.

They used to stay in a que, my new phone about a year old now does the same as you describe, I no longer have the option to resend I have to copy and paste to a new message.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

So, does email work any better, it is designed for retransmit if it can't connect first, or second, or.... try. ?

Hubs keeps trying to get me to upgrade. I keep saying no. I have the iPhone 5. My messages and emails still have a que and send automatically when a signal is present. His will not do that. I of course remind him why upgrades aren't essential unless you're a gamer...etc. I suspected a negative impact and refused upgrades. Now he regrets keeping up with the latest and greatest while I keep plugging along.. It's a little bit slower but it's consistent.

He upgrades his computer and has crashed 5 times and has gone through 4 computers. I do not upgrade and I'm still using my old computer. Not a single crash. Again, it's a little slower but it's consistent. Most of the time, less is more.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I don't have email on my phone because I view phones as inherently insecure. I never do financial business on the phone or anything involving info that could be used for identity theft.

Even so, email would require a wifi or 3-4g data connection. SMS (simple messaging system) is traditionally robust because it's very low bandwidth. It's long been recommended if you have spotty/intermittent reception to fall back on text vs voice for this reason - to send a text requires minimal signal and only a brief, momentary connection.

That all goes out the window if the "text" app needs to connect to a centralized system of some kind before it can send.

There was actually a case I read a few years ago about some folks at sea in a real pickle a few miles off the coast. They needed rescue but couldn't get a call through. Their chances of opening a web-browser (or email app) and trying to send that way would have been doubtless equally fubar'd. They WERE able to get one bar, intermittently (just like my situation in the OP) and were able to get a Simple Message Service text message through, which led to their recovery.

That's the kind of functionality I had previously with my standard flip-phone and was appalled to discover I didn't have what I thought I had!
    In a crazy world, it's the crazy man who can get by - and it's about to get cray-cray up in here.