Thread: Tiller machine...

Default Tiller machine...

My mind got to running along rabid trails today and I had forgotten something..

I've not put in a garden in a number of years as I loaned out my Troy built tiller and the engine got burned up. I never did replace it.

Have decided that some time soon I will be getting another tiller...rear tine if possible..but if not ..front tine.

However.......

No more Mr Nice guy. I gotta stop with this "Rescuing People" nice guy mindset. Tillers can be rented...as can almost any tool. What was I thinking.????

Used to like growing tomatos...peppers and such...even canning the surplus for use throughout the year. An older woman I used to date from North Carolina introduced me to canning. She used to make a type of tomato gravy with her canned tomatoes...to put over home made biscuits....yummy.

Canning is time consuming but good knowledge to know for ones future use...as well as a great way to preserve ones surplus crop.

I also have the vacuum sealing lid to work with pulling a vacuum on mason jars..via my Food Saver machine...but have not used it to date...but it is there as needed.

Nonetheless...on my bucket list...is a new tiller.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite.

Buy another TroyBilt, an older one.

I have 4 tillers. Two electric tiller, a Briggs and Straton and a manual plow with different blades for multi use such as tilling, cultivating and weeding. I would not trade my manual for all the gas or electric tillers in the world. It's very well build and does the job well. Ya just need manpower.

https://hosstools.com/product/double-wheel-hoe/

As for canning, once you get a system down, it's not as time consuming as you think. The right equipment is essential for making caning run smooth and efficient. Having your priorities in the proper order is another advantage.
    Even if you do not have room for a garden, buy fresh produce and grass fed meats to can. If you can't preserve all your food for at least 30 days, in a weekend, prep the rest, blanch the vegetables, pack and freeze for processing the next weekend or your day(s) off. You'ld be surprised how much food you can store long term over a weekend. Being proefficiant is a necessity.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Wow Camouflaged...!!

Thanks for that link to the manual plow. I have bookmarked it for future use.

I never thought of a manual tiller.

Thanks again,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Youre welcome! I tell ya, they are worth every penny. I started out with the single wheel but upgraded to the two wheel within a season. Makes it allmost effortless. Now I akmost have all the empliments. Only one I didnt get was the seeder. I cant justify the expense when seeding is so easy. Im sure it would be worth it to someone with serious back issues though.
    Once your ground is conditioned, these tillers are the best investment. Ive had mine about 7 years I think, without a single issue. Very well made and tough!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Years ago when I worked as a mechanic, a few other mechanics would come to me to borrow tools since I always had the right tool for the job. After having a few not come back to me, or come back broken, I implemented a new policy. If someone needs to borrow a tool, I take their car keys (or something else of value to them) as collateral. When they bring the tool back clean and in good working condition then they get their collateral back. It was very surprising how well it worked, especially at 11 pm on a Friday night when we were getting off work.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    Buy another TroyBilt, an older one.
    Totally agree. Check for a used Troybilt. Almost everything is still available for them. and they are built much better than the new ones since Murry bought Troybilt out. My step dad has a 5 hp and an 8hp. Both are fine tillers. I have a 5hp that I got used. it still runs good.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13