Thread: Tent Score?? What do you think?

Default Tent Score?? What do you think?

I just scored 2 free tents the day after a garage sale.

First one, Eddie Bauer 5 person tent. All poles and covers are there with no leaks.

Second one, Kelty very large tent. Probably 20' x 10' one room. Again, all parts there and waterproof.

I think I scored big, how about you?

Depends.. What did you pay for them?
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Both were free. Spotted ad on Craigslist, they were sitting by the curb. I set them both up and tested for leaks, none.

Curb Alert ! Usually they are gone before the add is placed.

Decided to take a chance since I was headed in that direction anyway. They were both still there!

Well then , HELL YEAH! You DID score well!

The big tent we have, I made from canvas I purchased from Harbor Freight. The big heavy drop cloth canvas'.
    Before I sewed the panels together, I soaked them in hot oil and bees wax and let them bake in the sun for a few days to water proof them. Then I double stitched my panels together with suet and added the oil infused beeswax to the seams. I put in the screened Windows and fire proof stack vent before sewing the panels together. I made it into a 14'x18' with a 7' ceiling. It's a hawk of a tent but it served up well when we got caught in a bad storm at Lake Bucannon one year. We've only erected it three times in those 6 years since I finished it. I have a leather sewing machine I built it on. My Janome couldn't handle the multi-layer seams. It was a job making it but it's nice to know we have it if we need it as a back up, get the hell out of Dodge last defense home, but I doubt that will be the case for us. It sure is nice to have heavy duty lodging on long camping trips.
    YOU DID GOOD on that find!
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Thanks Camo!

I'm not big on Eddie Bauer stuff. But a Kelty tent that big must have cost a bunch. I'm guessing 500 plus. And Kelty is real good quality.
    You did good.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Well, Cabelas doesn't make their own stuff, so could have a good brand marked Cabelas. Regardless, free is a good thing. Nice score.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Dude you got a steal there! Good for you man, glad it worked out and neither leaks! That is definitely a win win win........