Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: x35

Beautiful airplane, the Mosquito. I've always had a particular fondness for the recip powered planes. There's just something about the growl of a P-47, P-38, B-36 that to my mind jets just don't have. As they said about Bush Jr., jets just don't go no gravitas. But, then, I AM a nostalgic ole cuss. Just remembered, there were two movies about the mosquito I really enjoyed; Mosquito Squadron with David McCallum, and 633 Squadron with Cliff Montgomery. Ever see them?
    Last edited by beowulf; 09-16-2018 at 06:28 PM.

I really enjoyed; Mosquito Squadron with David McCallum, and 633 Squadron with Cliff Montgomery. Ever see them?
    Yes..Ive seen both of them and somewhere in my messy video collection I have 633 Squadron...and I think the fellows name was Cliff Robertson..but it has been awhile.

Now I'm going to have to dig it out of the stacks somewhere.

Yes..I too like the olde propeller airplanes!!

I also liked that olde Jimmy Stewart movie about B 36 Aircraft...I think it was also with June Allison.

This place wherein these WW1 and WW2 aircraft are kept is called The Military Aviation Museum Located down at the bottom of Virginia Beach, Virginia..almost to the North Carolina Border in Pungo, Virginia Beach.

I've not been there in awhile but the story was... the last time I was there...that the Brits were tearing down an olde control tower from WW2 and they bought and shipped it there to put it back up at their grass field airdrome.

I Shall have to schedule another visit to see how it goes.

They have some olde commercial aircraft there as well and one of my favorite of all things ..is an olde Navy painted PBY Catalina amphibian. As I understand it they came two ways....without and later with retractable wheels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Aviation_Museum

The very interesting thing about this museum is that many of the aircraft including the WW1 aircraft are kept in flying condition.

Here is an olde one....and early pusher type propeller...very unusual..

Another Mosquito photo from my collection.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

bottom plane a Lancaster bomber??

Quote Originally Posted by finris View Post
    bottom plane a Lancaster bomber??
    No..It is a De Havilland Mosquito of WW2 Fame.

One of the few aircraft which worked out well in a multitude of roles.

To my limited knowledge the only flying Lancaster Bomber is kept up in Canada and occasionally flies down here past this museum during air shows. The Lancaster is a large four Merlin Engine bomber.

I hope to be at this museum during one of the flybys at one of their air shows..but to date have missed it when they so fly by.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Yes..Ive seen both of them and somewhere in my messy video collection I have 633 Squadron...and I think the fellows name was Cliff Robertson..but it has been awhile.

Now I'm going to have to dig it out of the stacks somewhere.

Yes..I too like the olde propeller airplanes!!

I also liked that olde Jimmy Stewart movie about B 36 Aircraft...I think it was also with June Allison.

This place wherein these WW1 and WW2 aircraft are kept is called The Military Aviation Museum Located down at the bottom of Virginia Beach, Virginia..almost to the North Carolina Border in Pungo, Virginia Beach.

I've not been there in awhile but the story was... the last time I was there...that the Brits were tearing down an olde control tower from WW2 and they bought and shipped it there to put it back up at their grass field airdrome.

I Shall have to schedule another visit to see how it goes.

They have some olde commercial aircraft there as well and one of my favorite of all things ..is an olde Navy painted PBY Catalina amphibian. As I understand it they came two ways....without and later with retractable wheels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Aviation_Museum

The very interesting thing about this museum is that many of the aircraft including the WW1 aircraft are kept in flying condition.

Here is an olde one....and early pusher type propeller...very unusual..

Another Mosquito photo from my collection.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Right-0 you are, Cliff Robertson it was. I had just looked it up and STILL didn't get it right! Memory is going same place my hearing went...someplace else. (Snicker, 'cept it ain't really so darn funny!) The one you're talking about with Jimmy Stewart and June Allison was Strategic Air Command. Maybe my memory ain't so bad after all...sometimes.

633 Squadron with Cliff Robertson: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057811/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart and June Allison (and Harry Morgan and a host of others) : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048667/?ref_=nv_sr_1 Great Air-Air photography and haunting music...

Mosquito Squadron with David McCallum (AKA Illya Kuryakin, Ducky Mallard, etc) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064699/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Good medicine in bad places

Beowulf,

You got me to thinking here with this...

There's just something about the growl of a P-47, P-38, B-36 that to my mind jets just don't have.

I've never seen a flying P 47...museum static displays yes.

A Langley AFB some years ago..at an air show I saw my first flying P-38. I did not fully realize how large a plane it was for those days...until I saw that one fly at Langley AFB. Fast too for a big airplane.

My Dad made the transition from Recip engines to Jets ..in the olde C 54s, C 118s and eventually the KC 97 air refueling tankers...then on to KC 135 Tankers, B 47s and finally B 52s at Dow AFB in Bangor, Maine. My dad flew the Berlin Air Lift as s flight engineer...before switching to engine maintenance...and going off flight status. Mom got tired of him being gone all the time.

I was born at Wheelus AFB in Tripoli, Libya. None of the four of us kids were born in the continental USA as a result of my fathers Air Force service. Not that unusual for military families. Spent a lot of time at DOD Schools.

When I was myself in uniform at Keflavik, Iceland I got to see a lot of different types of aircraft coming through the base...even an F 5E demonstrator specially painted up and it's support aircraft with the spares...on it's way to the Paris Air Show.

I even got to see, in those days, some Soviet Aircraft landing there. It was a huge turbo prop transport ...with those huge contra rotating propellors on it just like on their Bear Bombers.

Hey ..let me tell you something about those types of Russian airplanes..

Those huge contra rotating turbo prop propellers....they produce a horrible whining noise when they are running up on the ground...and I mean Horrible...high pitched whine....bone rattling..high pitch. It actually hurts to be around them on the ramp when they are running up before take off. Their guys on the ground must be deaf around those planes. I've been around a lot of turbo props...like the C 130...and running up their engines...but this was in another whole category...very very loud and high pitched whine. It was very physically uncomfortable to be around it....even with ear protection. It is that bad.

This one here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-22

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-17-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Beautiful airplane, the Mosquito. I've always had a particular fondness for the recip powered planes. There's just something about the growl of a P-47, P-38, B-36 that to my mind jets just don't have. As they said about Bush Jr., jets just don't go no gravitas. But, then, I AM a nostalgic ole cuss. Just remembered, there were two movies about the mosquito I really enjoyed; Mosquito Squadron with David McCallum, and 633 Squadron with Cliff Montgomery. Ever see them?
    The old planes from WWII are my favorites. The P-51 is my tops. I was able to get a cool pic of a P-51 and a F-15 doing a fly by. I loved watching them perform together. But the sound of the 51's engine is a wonderful sound.
    Got a good story on a P-38. An old guy from Middlesboro Ky funded a expedition to Greenland to get a P-38 that had set down during transport during WWII. Over the years it was buried under snow and ice. They were able to get it out in pieces. Had it shipped to back to Middlesboro. They cleaned, had made, reassembled the plane. Newly renamed "The Glaicer Girl, complete with some nice nose art. They flew it for a few years at some air shows. The old man finally passed away and to his wishes they tried to make the original flight to England. Somewhere over north east Canada they had engine problems and had to set down. To my knowledge the plane is still at the field it landed at. That was a wonderful sounding plane as well.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13