Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any experiences with Harbor Freight generators?

Default Any experiences with Harbor Freight generators?

Just got the latest e-mail from Harbor Freight on their latest promotion. Itís a big generator sale. The Predator line of generators. In the flyer they compare their $600 generator to the $2600 Honda.

Anyone have any experiences with these generators?
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

This is one time you should get the extended warranty. It might be a great machine, or it might not be.
    Good medicine in bad places

Absolutely not something I'd expect to be reliable when I need it. They can claim it's comparable in output, but the Honda and Yamaha generators are amazing and the Harbor Freight specials aren't even in the same field when it comes to noise, efficiency, and reliability.

Only gen I've purchased from HF is the tailgater for quick get away because its small and light weight. It's a little champ. Cranks first time every time, but I can't say about the bigger ones. We have two Honda 3000's and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

One thing you might ask them is, do they have the Same 14 day return policy on generators? If so, try it out and if you don't like it, take it back.
    Remember what Einstein said:
    ďI know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.Ē

My church bought one to power a roof mount RV A/C on our bus. The pull start was finicky. If you didnít pull it hard, it would not catch to turn the motor over. Beyond that, it ran great until someone decided they needed it more than we did.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

If they're worth stealing.....

I hate a thief!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

This is one time you should get the extended warranty.
    Fidel has the secret to HF products.

I know a guy that has a big aquaponics setup.
    Runs HF pumps exclusively - but always buys the longest extended warranty because he is running them constantly which wears them out.

My rule for HF is that I often buy items from HF that I will rarely use and therefor can't justify the added expense of a quality brand.
    One example is a sheet metal shear that cost $50 from HF, but the Dewalt is over $250.
    I have probably used it 3-4 hours in 5 years, but it beats the heck out of hand cutting.

I have one of the 800 watt gas gennies and it is just fine.
    Probably used it 12 hours in 5 years - because it is my fourth level backup genny.
    I mostly use it because it is light weight and easy to use remotely on the property.

if it's something you intend to use regular or it's a necessity >>>> DON"T buy from Harbor Freight ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    if it's something you intend to use regular or it's a necessity >>>> DON"T buy from Harbor Freight ....
    Pretty much how I feel about HF products - although their sockets and ratchets lately have been pretty good, at least as good or better as Craftsman is.

But for a generator that I would rely on in an emergency? I'd go with Honda or Yamaha or Generac.

A product from HF may not work out of the box, and may break down, and as far as fixing them, you're on your own. Who knows what they put in them?
    Good medicine in bad places

When I was working as a diesel mechanic I would buy Harbor Freight hand tools, primarily because of dead beat mechanics using my tools. But, they held up to daily use. To date I have never had a Harbor Freight socket, ratchet, screwdriver, plier, or any other hand tool break on me.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best