Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any experiences with Harbor Freight generators?

I don't have a generator. My neighbor is going to loan me one of his for this event. I've talked about getting one a number of times since Hurricane Fran, but always manage to let wife talk me out of it. Other day we were talking about again and ,as usual, wifey says, "We don't need one that often and its just not worth the expense". (little sarcasm in her voice) I just stopped and looked at her a moment, then replied, "Responsibility for providing for and caring for my family rest squarely upon my shoulders and no one else, and sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do REGARDLESS of what ANYONE else says or thinks". (there was a bit of emphasis in my voice.) Daughter got that "oh, sh*t! I see fire in daddy's eyes" look. Needless to say, a generator is on my list of things to procure...but AFTER prices go back to normal again. Right now they're jacked up higher than a cat's back on a witches broom on Halloween. Soon as the panic buying started Lowe's double that price on theirs. They can call it supply and demand all they want to, but in reality its northing more than price gouging, greed...taking unfair (and should be unlawful) advantage of other's desperate need. They already have a large enough make up as it is.

If you were closer I would sell you mine. Iíve had it up for sale for almost a month now with no interest.

And I agree with you. There are some things that, as the head of the household, we just need to stand our ground on. This is definitely one of those items that is worthy.
    Last edited by 91CavGT; 09-11-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

My rule of thumb for HF products, buy for rare or one time use items. Stay far away from electrical items.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    When I was working as a diesel mechanic I would buy Harbor Freight hand tools, primarily because of dead beat mechanics using my tools. But, they held up to daily use. To date I have never had a Harbor Freight socket, ratchet, screwdriver, plier, or any other hand tool break on me.
    My favorite tire and alignment shop buys HF air tools and jacks...when I asked the owner about it, he said they may break a little more often than Snap-on but the price is such that he saves a ton of money.
    Good medicine in bad places

I have a troy built tiller, had a Briggs engine I believe, I got it second hand never ran correctly. I adjusted, cleaned, even broke down and took it to a small engine mechanic. It's one of those things that only gets used a few times a year but is needed when needed! I'm pretty sure it ran worse when I got it back from the mechanic...New carburetor etc. HF had a special on their little predator engines $99 6.5 horse same size as original! I bought it, swapped it, made a couple red neck engineering adjustments to make everything fit now it fires right up and runs strong. I'm so proud of it that I find extra uses for it like cleaning the goat barn in the spring, I run the tiller over the compacted hay shavings and poo, loosens it all up so it's easier to scoop out. I wouldn't buy a power tool from them, but I trust the little engines and hand tools. Their hammers are my favorite, I used to be 100% eastwing but I love their wooden Vaughn knock offs and can't beat the price.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I bought a HF 8750 watt generator last year. It came with replacement jets for high elevation (I'm at 7500'). I changed out the jet and it started right up and ran great. During the last year we only used it once for its real job when we had a power outage that lasted about six hours. It always starts on the first or second pull. It is big enough to run our well pump along with other things at the same time. It comes setup for electric start and I added a battery that I had on hand to make starting even easier. I run it every six weeks or so (when I remember).
    I am very happy with this genny. It has a 13 hp motor but pulls over easy enough. When it's running we can hear inside our house but really it is not all that loud.
    It is the regular old style generator that runs wide open all the time instead of the newer style inverter ones that change engine speed with the load (nicer but way more expensive).
    I am not sorry I bought this one and would recommend one to anybody wanting a generator for emergency use.

As far as generators go I have 2......one is at my desert bug-out cabin and the other at the country home closer to town. I originally had a Generac 3500w one from Lowes out at the cabin because it was less than $400 10 yrs ago.....I didn't expect much out of it, but it performed like a champ for 9 yrs, never a problem, although it was noisy. I broke down and bought a Honda 3000 for $2000 last year because of the noise difference and their long-term reputation....The Generac is now home at the ranch. Although I think I will get a Honda for here too, when i can afford it.....or maybe a propane/gas model of some sort......

I don't know Harbor freight generators, but I've had decent luck with most of their stuff. I agree with the above, get a warranty....