Thread: Liquid Bandage

Default Liquid Bandage

Got home early in the afternoon about just before 3pm Saturday from working, decided to go ahead and reduce a part of the pasture to prepare an orchard. I had mowed this piece of land when I first moved here and had decided to allow the horses to do my work for me. I had moved the horses off my farm to our larger farm last year because they were eating the grass too excessively. My cow and goats didn't graze enough and I've been mowing it anyway since the horses have been off it.

It is a triangle about 150 feet on the long sides and 60 feet at its widest, so there were only a handful of posts to remove. I was only taking down one long side, leaving the side up against my neighbors. Electric fences make for great neighbors.

Most of the post were short fiberglass posts with a few metal T posts for support every fourth or fifth one. T posts have a chevron shaped wing about 6 inches from the bottom to give it stability and to lock it into the ground. Without a mechanical way to remove the post one must loosen the post by wiggling it around until the ground is separated away from the post. If installed properly a metal T post penetrates the ground about 1 foot deep......

Getting to the medical stuff soon gotta run, don't want to lose this. Be back soon.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Damn it, Flock! You start this leading us to believe you maybe hurt yourself and used liquid bandage to correct the "OOPS", then leave us hanging! You need to be hoss whipped! (Heh, heh)

Sorry, so I get one of the T post out with a little effort and move on to the next one, I move it back, then forward, then left, then right, then repeat. I reach down low and give it a good pull, it only moves about an inch, the ground is extremely dry and hard right now. I repeat this cycle a few times getting the post up little by little, I can't remember I've ever had so much trouble pulling a stupid post out of the ground! Finally I get it up past the little wing and it should just come right out now, but it didn't and wouldn't so I go to rocking it now back then fort.... whack right in the mouth! The stinking thing snapped off just under the wing in the ground.

I go walking back towards the house with my face in the crook of my arm, it smacked me pretty good and I wasn't real sure what damage was done if any. My wife happened to be on the back porch dusting rugs, she sees me coming with my face covered and asked if I'm hurt our something..... I give her the I don't know shrug as I come up on the porch and expose my face for her to see.... lol by this time I knew I was bleeding pretty good.

That look on her face worried me a little and after I spit the blood out I asked her if it was my nose or mouth, she said you've cut your lip part of it is hanging off..... we headed to the bathroom and sure enough there was a big chunk of my lip hanging a about the size of a 9mm, luckily...thankfully my teeth were spared they were buzzing pretty good though. Warning it's going to get graphic from here....
    I have a mustache, there's a chunk of top lip hanging down that's now full of hair. I wash my hands then start rinsing all the sweat off my face and begin rinsing the wound. Now that I can see it much better I start by trimming the hairs reaching down into the wound...then the task of removing the hairs in the wound, some of them had to be pulled with tweezers from the inside out. My daughter was in from college watching her dad pull hairs out of a chunk of skin hanging off his lip with a straight face, I made certain to maintain my composure. After removing all the hairs I rinsed it a couple times with peroxide and let it bubble. I asked the wife to grab a can of saline wound wash.....that stuff can come out very forcefully! It's all clean now and I push the piece back into place, nothing missing everything fits, I put a little triple antibiotic ointment on it. My daughter going to college to become a vet keeps asking if she can stitch it up, my wife keeps telling me to go to the hospital (I told her I've already done everything they would have...except the tetanus shot) I tell them I'm just going to super glue it. Lol I retrieved the liquid bandage from my first aid kit and glued it....and it worked! I had to wipe the ointment off first, the glue needed clean skin.

So far, so good, minimal swelling, no infection, gonna be a cool scar. I highly recommend liquid bandage I'm putting it into every vehicle and every bag with a name.

I have before and after pictures with admin approval.........

Bein' prepared is good, not descendin' into panic is better and havin' family that doesn't panic and is willin' to help is best. Hope it heals okay, and this might be a good time for a tetanus booster. Easy way to remember from now on that you got the shot "on the day I bashed my face" just before 9/11/18. See what I did there? 9+11=18 Hey, at my age my memory needs all the help I can give it.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

A calculator might help too

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Vale74 View Post
    Bein' prepared is good, not descendin' into panic is better and havin' family that doesn't panic and is willin' to help is best. Hope it heals okay, and this might be a good time for a tetanus booster. Easy way to remember from now on that you got the shot "on the day I bashed my face" just before 9/11/18. See what I did there? 9+11=18 Hey, at my age my memory needs all the help I can give it.
    I suffer from the same malady, Rich. There are times I have to check my driver's licenst to see if I'm still who I thought I was. Other day I went to the pharmacy and asked if they had any of those pills that are supposed to improve your memory. Man said, "Yep! Three aisles down, bout half way down on the left side." I just looked at him for a moment and replied, "What's three aisles down, 'bout half way down o the left die....and why the heck are you telling me"?

Damn Flock I can just see that taking place. Them post seem but are really kinda brittle. Glad it's no worse than it was.
    2 things, wife used to watch a Dr's kids and they were all at a swim meet one day. Someone cut their foot and folks wanted to take the kid to ER for stiches. He just grabbed a tube of glue and fixed them up on the spot. You did good.
    The other thing our local Co Op has a rectangular metal bar made to go over a fence post and allow you to pull them with leverage on them. I've never used one, but they sell the crap out of them. Must work pretty good.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

The other side of liquid bandage- While in Canada, son in law was not able to harvest Caribou with bow so resorted to guides rifle. Scoped himself really good. He arrives back at base camp nursing your basic head wound while I'm up another mountain stalking mine. Get back down and find him with gauze patch on forehead. He tells me that it turns out that the cook is a nurse, so I leave it alone without even looking at it. I have lidocaine, suture kits, liquid bandage, and super glue all in FAK, as well as betadine and alcohol wipes.

A few days later we find out that she is really some sort of nurses aide/ bedpan changer type of person and I get a little concerned, and she didn't know how to operate a butterfly bandage. He goes to Dr the day after we get home and tests positive for staff. Sure glad I didn't close it up, although I'd have numbed it and scrubbed before suture. You just never know, I guess.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Lidocaine, how can I get some of that ? I have sutures but lack the skill, numbing can be a great thing.... I would only attempt in ashtf scenario I have books, just haven't tried on anything.