Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keeping an eye on storm track for Hurricane Florence

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Well, we lost power today, from 1300 - 1800 (that's 1:00 PM -6:PM for civilians). Its back on now . Still raining some and a bit breezy, but hoping the worst of it is over. Lights are still flickering some now and then, so we'll just have to wait and see.
    Oh, phew...I sorta thought you'd been out of power there for 500 years ....

Whew! That's good to know. Been thinking about you and others today, wondering how you faired. Did you sustain any damages?
    Remember what Einstein said:
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Raining here lightly on the Chesapeake Bay near Langley AFB. No real wind damage...some loose debris ..but we here have fared well. After Monday I will begin slowly putting back out my yard furniture.

We were very fortunate in that most of the storm went south of us.

Glad to hear you and yours are ok out there Olde Timer.

Spoke with my friend out in Tennessee about 8:30 PM for about 40 minutes on the ham radio. He is as prepared as he can get. He has put up a new cinder block well pump house and in it also put his new generator which is wired into the house as well as back up power for the well....so he is set for a power outage. He expects about 2 to 3 inches of rain.

He told me that the irony of the situation is that he wanted to move back to the mountains from where his people originated...but also to get away from Hurricanes so prevalent on the coast...but....he is still subject to them. Move further west and you just trade Hurricanes for tornados...and in the winter...I think they are called...Alberta Clippers...in the mid west.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-15-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Spoke with my friend out in Tennessee about 8:30 PM for about 40 minutes on the ham radio. He is as prepared as he can get. He has put up a new cinder block well pump house and in it also put his new generator which is wired into the house as well as back up power for the well....so he is set for a power outage. He expects about 2 to 3 inches of rain.

He told me that the irony of the situation is that he wanted to move back to the mountains from where his people originated...but also to get away from Hurricanes so prevalent on the coast...but....he is still subject to them. Move further west and you just trade Hurricanes for tornados...and in the winter...I think they are called...Alberta Clippers...in the mid west.
    He is in a great spot.
    2-3 inches of rain is nothing for us around here, just a big afternoon thunderstorm and this 2-3 inches is going to spread over a day.
    As long has he is not in one of the river bottoms flooding is not an issue.
    I just checked our forecast and winds are only supposed to be 15 mph tops which won't bring down many trees.

Actually for us the worst natural disaster is ice storm, we get those once every 20 - 50 years or so and they take down trees and power lines.
    Had one at my place about 50 miles from your buddy 7 years ago, got about 1/4" of ice. Actually had a line snap in my retreat.
    Power company got me back up in a few hours.

Yeah, I am biased, cause I grew up near your buddy.
    But honestly east TN and particularly upper east TN. is prime prepper country.

+1000 Explo.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

well backpacker, looks like it is coming for us.
    right over the top of you, but I will be in the NE quadrent where all the rain is.

Tom, your buddy is going to be in the heaviest rain quadrent also - but they are only calling for 2-4 inches - and that spread out over 36 hours.

just finished clearing gutters from some early fall leaves, cleaned out the drainage ditch by my drive, but honestly a summer thunderstorm is more annoying because it can dump couple inches in an hour.

gonna test fire two of the gennys just to make sure they are good to go

Yeah I'm expecting the rain. We have been getting a little more wind than usual so far. Not a lot, but more than normal for this time of year. 2" of rain in 36 hours isn't much of anything.. As slow as it's going now, it'll be middle of the week before it gets here.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by Camouflaged View Post
    Whew! That's good to know. Been thinking about you and others today, wondering how you faired. Did you sustain any damages?
    Nah, no damage. I don't have any trees close to the house big enough to blow over on it, and wind never got strong enough to blow any part of the roof off. We just had the roof redone a couple months ago. Had a metal roof put over old shingles. Also, had new siding done. But, no, no damage. Just a few small limbs down in the yard. Not much else. The eye went in south of us so we only got one side of the storm, and then just outer edge. I sure feel for those folks on the coast, though. One man in Wilmington saw his wife and infant child killed when a tree fell on their house. How on earth does one deal with the shock, trauma and horror of something like that. I just can't imagine witnessing my wife and child being crushed by a tree. Don't know if I could handle that.

Glad to hear all is well down there Olde Timer.....

About to get ahold of my friend on the Virgina Phone Net on 3.947 MHZ LSB mode...and check the latest out in Tennessee.

Be back after that.

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Heard from my friend in Tennessee. He states pretty much what others here are stating ...that he is ok....not much rain. More rain to come out there on Monday. We spoke for about 40 minutes.

Watching and listening to an interesting video and will comment on it in the first General Discussion section.

Thanks,
    Orangetom